UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor raraz15
Visitor

How to use a library?

Hello, I have to use Q Format Floating Point Arithtmetic in my project. I have limited knowledge on Libraries and packages  and I searched the internet for some time and asked my professors about it. No answers.

I found the Floating point package user’s guide of David Bishop and I try to do as in the description. So here is the question

I find the relevant files, but,

1. I do not know what to do with these files? (Library Compiling, IEEE folder... so confused)
  2. I do not know how to use these libraries/packages in my VHDL code.

(I use Xilinx ISE 14.7 by the way)

Thanks a lot in advance :)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to use a library?

0 Kudos
Visitor raraz15
Visitor

Re: How to use a library?

I am trying to follow the instructions, but the guide doesn't specify anything about the Floating package, (I can try Fixed Point also as I don't want to fail this class )

Let's say I try the Fixed Package, the files that are mentionned in the vivado-logic-simulation.pdf are nowhere to be found, not on the computer, not on the internet, except David Bishop's  and his file names are different than in the vivado-logic-simulation.pdf. 

After being directed to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf, page 214 it is said 

"First, compile the Fixed Package in the IEEE library. This package is available in the file: fixed_pkg_2008.vhd, in the scripts/rt/data/ directory in your Vivado install. This package is not precompiled in Vivado, so you must compile the file in your design.

• To compile the file using the GUI, copy the fixed_pkg_2008.vhd file from the Vivado build directory to your personal directory. Then in the Vivado IDE, add the fixed_pkg_2008.vhd file to your project, and make sure that it is compiled into the IEEE library.

• To compile the file using Tcl commands, type the following on the Tcl Console:

add_files –norecurse /fixed_pkg_2008.vhd

set_property library ieee [get_files /fixed_pkg_2008.vhd]

read_vhdl –vhdl2008 ./my_design.vhd

launch_runs synth_1 –jobs 4

wait_on_run synth_1

open_run synth_1 –name synth_1 

" I honestly do not know what to do at this point. Can anyone give me a working link for the library and descriptions for how to compile and use that library in Xilinx ISE 14.7?

0 Kudos