UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor thweight
Visitor

I2C for my ARTY S7

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I am new to FPGA's and this is my first post. I hope this is in the right place.

I am trying to get i2c working on my ARTY board using (of course) the SDA and SCL pins and Vivado 2018.1 (64 bits).

All I want is to talk to one slave with no other masters. So I don't have to worry about making SCL open collector. But the SDA is another matter.

I have this code for writing to the inout sda port.

if(l_sda_tx = '0') then

sda <= '0';

else

sda <= 'Z';

end if;

When I synthesize the program, I get a critical warning:

"[Synth 8-5799] Converted tricell instance 'U0i_0' to logic  ".

I googled this and learned that (with an older version of Vivado) I need to switch from "OOC" to "Global".

This is where I hit a brick wall. I found several explanations of how to do this but none seem to apply to my version of Vivado.

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: I2C for my ARTY S7

Jump to solution

@thweight

I don't get where you are hitting the brick... with the ooc - > global or with the IO buffer?

As already showed by dpaul24 you see how to do this manually... or by Vivado automatically when you use the signal endings *_i, *_o and *_t...

In addition, although dpaul24 did not state it explicitly the line:

I  => sda_o,  -- Bufferinput

means that sda_o is a constant and '0'.

Concerning your remark "...one slave with no other masters. So I don't have to worry about making SCL open collector..."

Be warned: There are I2C slaves which do clock stretching to delay a response... typically ADC based I2C components which need some time.Please check as well: https://www.i2c-bus.org/clock-stretching/

If your component drives a '1' (instead of a 'Z' which results due to the I2C pull-up resistor 'H') and your I2C slave stretches the clock by pulling it low -> you will go to the limit of your FPGA output driver. No a really nice behavior... will say, even if you do not care about clock stretching don't drive the SCK directly but by a open collector (iobuf).

Cheers

Goran

3 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@thweight,

If the tri-state buffer connection of the SDA is worrying you the try using the Xilinx primitive IOBUF.

SDA_IOBUF_inst: IOBUF
    generic map(
    DRIVE      => 12,
    IOSTANDARD => "DEFAULT",
    SLEW       => "SLOW"
	)
    port map(
    O  => sda_i,  -- Buffer output
    IO => sda_io, -- Buffer inout port(connect directly to top-level port)
    T  => sda_t   -- 3-state enable input,high=input,low=output
);
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@thweight

I don't get where you are hitting the brick... with the ooc - > global or with the IO buffer?

As already showed by dpaul24 you see how to do this manually... or by Vivado automatically when you use the signal endings *_i, *_o and *_t...

In addition, although dpaul24 did not state it explicitly the line:

means that sda_o is a constant and '0'.

Concerning your remark "...one slave with no other masters. So I don't have to worry about making SCL open collector..."

Be warned: There are I2C slaves which do clock stretching to delay a response... typically ADC based I2C components which need some time.Please check as well: https://www.i2c-bus.org/clock-stretching/

If your component drives a '1' (instead of a 'Z' which results due to the I2C pull-up resistor 'H') and your I2C slave stretches the clock by pulling it low -> you will go to the limit of your FPGA output driver. No a really nice behavior... will say, even if you do not care about clock stretching don't drive the SCK directly but by a open collector (iobuf).

Cheers

Goran

Visitor thweight
Visitor

Jump to solution
Is it possible to accept two replies as Solutions?
0 Kudos