UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Infered block ram warning [Synth 8-3514]

Jump to solution

Getting the following error

[Synth 8-3514] cannot infer block ram on a non-memory variable 'RAM'

In my code

type ram_type is array (63 downto 0) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);

signal RAM : ram_type;

attribute ram_style : string;

attribute ram_style of RAM : signal is "block";  -- <-- Line where synth 8-3514 points to

Thanks for the help

Wesley

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Infered block ram warning [Synth 8-3514]

Jump to solution
There is no reset for the RAM(0), RAM(1) signals.

They are concurrently assigned constants
RAM(63) <= x"C67178f2";

Therefore I believe my problem is the synth tool sees these as constants & not necessary ram.
After removing the block attribute I have removed this warning
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

@wesleytaylor

We may not be able to comment by only looking at the memory declaration, can you share the small testcase/RTL file here?

What type of reset you are using?

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
There is no reset for the RAM(0), RAM(1) signals.

They are concurrently assigned constants
RAM(63) <= x"C67178f2";

Therefore I believe my problem is the synth tool sees these as constants & not necessary ram.
After removing the block attribute I have removed this warning
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@wesleytaylor,

Glad to know that you have resolved the issue. You can check page number 99-100 in below Synthesis user guide for various RAM coding guidelines and Techiques:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

As the issue is resolved, Kindly close this thread by marking the post as "Accept as solution".

--Syed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@wesleytaylor

Yes, I guess you are correct. Removing attribute will clear your log, but if you want infer a BRAM for this memory logic you may need to change the RTL description.

Share your memory file here if you need any help in memory RTL.

Thanks,
Anusheel
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos

0 Kudos