cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simozz
Mentor
Mentor

Is it possible to generate HDF file from Vivado 2019.2 ?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am using Vivado 2019.2 which generates an xsa file after exporting the design.

Now I would like to test petalinux 2018.3 to create a project from the design exported using Vivado 2019.2, and this requires the hdf file, not the xsa.

Is there a way to convert xsa to hdf, or to generate hdf from Vivado 2019.2 ?

Actually I cannot find any information about this feature.

Regards,

s.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

hdf has been abandoned from 2019.2 as you are experiencing with the joy that characterizes Xilinx users.

The (relative) good news is, even if 2019.2 were able to generate hdf, you shouldn't use with a different Petalinux release.

So, to use Petalinux 2018, get vivado 2018.

If you have Vivado 2019, get Petalinux 2019.

Believe me.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

hdf has been abandoned from 2019.2 as you are experiencing with the joy that characterizes Xilinx users.

The (relative) good news is, even if 2019.2 were able to generate hdf, you shouldn't use with a different Petalinux release.

So, to use Petalinux 2018, get vivado 2018.

If you have Vivado 2019, get Petalinux 2019.

Believe me.

View solution in original post

markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

Hmm mixed bag -  Xilinx has created yet another three letter acronym file type, that's never good.  I wonder if a .xsa file is just a zip file too...

But then potential positive - Xilinx has finally seen the light, and removed barriers for their customers?  One can hope that whatever this new .xsa file format is, it's open and documented.  One hopes for a new flow where the PL generation (Vivado users), and Petalinux generation (Software folks) are completely seperate, and segregated. 

For our company, the FPGA team, and Software teams are two totally different groups, with different requirements as to when to upgrade Vivado(FPGA - PL) tools, and OS (i.e. Petalinux) tools.  We cannot tie them together, as suggested.

That's my hope at least.Trying to think positive thoughts, before I dig in and look under the covers.

Regards,

Mark

drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher
@markcurry
were the dying breed, these new comes see all FPGA as a software resource, all programmable in C style hence one tool is the way forward,

Its all going to end in tears,,,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
dsmith3212
Observer
Observer
hdf can still be generated in 2019.2 using old tcl command
write_hwdef -force -file <location>/filename.hdf
write_hwdef with HDF extension is deprecated but still works in 2019.2