UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Is there a constraint that allow to specify a resource that I don't want to use?

Jump to solution

Hello,

is there a constraint that allow to specify a resource that I don't want to use? For example don't use a BUFGMUX for a clock signal. Better if XST constraint .Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Is there a constraint that allow to specify a resource that I don't want to use?

Jump to solution

No, there is not a general constraint for you to prohibit any kind of macro inference.

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
10 Replies

Re: Is there a constraint that allow to specify a resource that I don't want to use?

Jump to solution

@pierlum

There are two ways to control tool behaviour: 1. Use global XST settings. 2. Use attributes for the specific signals.

For example, use of -bufg '0' will make sure that XST generated netlist will not have any global clock buffers. Yes, this may not be an accepted solution of the problem as the other part of the design will need global clock buffers.

Use of attributes should help here, use buffer_type attribute and mentioned the preferred buffer for any particular signal declared in the design.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It depends.

For example, if you don't want XST to automatically insert BUFG for a clock signal, you can add "buffer_type" attribute to this signal.

Similar attributes like ram_style, rom_style, fsm_style, shreg_extract, use_dsp48 and etc.

BTW, XST won't automatically infer BUFGMUX for clock(s). BUFGMUX must be instantiated.

Vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thank you @viviany and @anusheel for the help! Irrespective of the bufg, it exist a generic specific constrain to avoid the inferring of a specific macro of which I specify the name? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

No, there is not a general constraint for you to prohibit any kind of macro inference.

Vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@viviany 

I work with ise 14.7 and spartan 6 and XST automatically uses BUFGMUX inferring them as BUFG.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Sorry for the OT @viviany and @anusheel but someone of you could help me with the very strange problem that I explain here?https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/LDCE-and-ILOGIC2-very-strange-problem/td-p/770728

I work with spartan 6 and ise 14.7. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@pierlum wrote:

@viviany 

I work with ise 14.7 and spartan 6 and XST automatically uses BUFGMUX inferring them as BUFG.

BUFGMUX function must be instantiated. It accepts two clock input and does a 2-to-1 selection.

Are you sure you see a BUFGMUX inference? 

I guess it is just a BUFG. And BUFG is one of the configurations of BUFGCTRL.

BUFGMUX is another configuration of BUFGCTRL.

They are all based on BUFGCTRL primitive.

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@viviany Sorry I explained wrong. The inferred macro it's a BUFG but from the point of view of the resources used infer BUFGs consume BUFGMUXs

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

The Spartan-6 has only one type of global clock buffer - it is the BUFGMUX. A BUFG doesn't really exist - it is just a BUFGMUX with the S input tied to a constant (and one of the clock inputs ignored).

So the fact that it is using a BUFGMUX when you want a BUFG is correct. You can't (and don't want to) prevent this.

Avrum

Tags (1)