We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Location constraints, strings and Verilog

Location constraints, strings and Verilog

I’ve write a VHDL code using the location constraints and the generate statement and now I want to translate the same code to Verilog.

The VHDL code looks like this:

attribute LOC of INV1:label is "X" & integer'image(i)& "Y" & integer'image(j);

Unfortunately when using Verilog, the concatenation operator { , } and the string data type don´t work the same as VHDL. For example

This sentence works:                    (* LOC = "SLICE_X25Y63" *)

This sentence doesn´t work:     (* LOC = {"SLICE_X25Y","63"} *)

In theory the string "SLICE_X25Y63" should be exactly the same as {"SLICE_X25Y","63"} but the LOC constraint can only work with the first one.

Is there any way to successfully translate my VHDL sentence to Verilog?

Re: Location constraints, strings and Verilog

[ Edited ]

I recall having a similar discussion back in 2003.

Re: Location constraints, strings and Verilog

@volta unfortunately Xilinx doesn't do constant manipulation properly with Verilog so this is not doable. They have closed a SR I opened with "won't fix". 

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.