UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Location constraints, strings and Verilog

Visitor

Location constraints, strings and Verilog

Hi!

I’ve write a VHDL code using the location constraints and the generate statement and now I want to translate the same code to Verilog.

The VHDL code looks like this:

attribute LOC of INV1:label is "X" & integer'image(i)& "Y" & integer'image(j);

Unfortunately when using Verilog, the concatenation operator { , } and the string data type don´t work the same as VHDL. For example

This sentence works:                    (* LOC = "SLICE_X25Y63" *)

This sentence doesn´t work:     (* LOC = {"SLICE_X25Y","63"} *)

In theory the string "SLICE_X25Y63" should be exactly the same as {"SLICE_X25Y","63"} but the LOC constraint can only work with the first one.

Is there any way to successfully translate my VHDL sentence to Verilog?

Voyager

Re: Location constraints, strings and Verilog

[ Edited ]

I recall having a similar discussion back in 2003.

Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Location constraints, strings and Verilog

@volta unfortunately Xilinx doesn't do constant manipulation properly with Verilog so this is not doable. They have closed a SR I opened with "won't fix". 

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.