UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

No new webcases? What am I suppost to do with a synthesis error like this?

Jump to solution

INTERNAL_ERROR:Xst:cmain.c:3464:1.56 -  Process will terminate. For technical support on this issue, please open a WebCase with this project attached at http://www.xilinx.com/support.

So the project started doing this on 14.5 so I upgraded to 14.7 but same problem. Yes I'm using the webpack and it's understandable that xilinx is expecting users to find their own logic problems but what am I suppose to do about this kind of error? And without webcases how will xilinx ever find out about this bug?

I will begin the arduous task of trial and error to try and find the cause.

I am so unhappy,

Ray

Regards, Ray Haynes, Ostendo Technologies, Inc. Carlsbad, CA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: No new webcases? What am I suppost to do with a synthesis error like this?

Jump to solution
Hello Ray,

Here are few suggestions to start with:
1. Check the warning messages
2. Check at which stage of synthesis the issue occurs.
3. Check the log and identify the sub module that encounters this issue while synthesising.
Share your synthesis log file here so that I can give more pointers.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
7 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The stock answer is to contact your FAE (usually through your distributor) if you need faster help.

In the meantime, you might try to compile the design using ISIM and see if you get error messages instead of a crash.

In my experience this sort of XST crash often comes due to connectivity errors between modules, like mis-matched port names, types or widths.  Common causes are bad connections to .ngc modules like most Coregen IP, or between modules of different source language (VHDL instantiating Verilog or vice versa).

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Ray,

For bugs like this, the forums are the right place.  Every post is read by a Xilinx employee.

Unfortunately, ISE is now in "long term maintenance mode" as it is replaced by Vivado for all products of 7-series and newer.  So support (generally) for ISE is here on the forums, or through your distributor or Xilinx FAE.

The post here by other users is valuable, as they have seen what you have, and traced it to the cause they refer to.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

It simulates fine in ModelSim and there were only some code changes, no new IP added. So I'm just going to have to commenting out sections and changing the logic around a bit to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for responding.

Ray

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hello Ray,

Here are few suggestions to start with:
1. Check the warning messages
2. Check at which stage of synthesis the issue occurs.
3. Check the log and identify the sub module that encounters this issue while synthesising.
Share your synthesis log file here so that I can give more pointers.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I found that if I commented out one signal in a record it would synthesize. After spending quite some time reworking the logic on that signal I decided it was probably was not the problem. I then spent some time eliminating synthesis warnings such as a couple of incomplete sensitivity lists, hand full of inadvernent latches, and a few width mismatches on some assignments. Now it synthesizes. So I'm good for now. Thanks to the people who responded.

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @rayhaynes ,

Please close this thread to your findings.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

This is a late response but if anyone who run across this here is what I found. I'm using a large record for cpu readback of bits. Each module shares the same record with the whole record set to high 'Z' at the top of the file. Then elements in the record are driven as required in each module. The problem I was having with a synthesis error was caused by having an element in the recorded that was driving anywhere in the design. It didn't happen always but once it did it was persistent. Deleting that unused element would fix the error. This appears to be a bug as not driving an element is not illegal.

0 Kudos