UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Partial Synthesis on top of existing boot image

Jump to solution

I am not very familiar with the range of Vivado's capabilities, so I'm not sure if one of the tasks I want to do is possible. Namely, I currently have a boot image for the Ultra96 board that bundles a distribution of Linux and the configuration files needed to instantiate a DPU on the programmable logic. I want to perform a few more hardware level changes on top of what the boot image already does for me (e.g. add another datapath, change pin assignments, configure peripherals, enable features or subsystems, etc.), but I'm not the one who created the boot image so I don't have the project files for that boot image.

Is it possible to synthesize my additions or changes into a bitstream that will perform the changes I want on top of the existing boot image (to be loaded using the /dev/xdevcfg driver), without needing to rebuild the image with the project files I don't have? I looked into the partial reconfiguration tutorial on the Xilinx wiki, but it was hard to follow and if my interpretation was right it seemed like the boot image must be built with full knowledge of which partial bitstreams are allowed to be loaded on top of it.

Specifically, the boot image I have is Deephi's DNNDK, and the change I want to make is to enable deep sleep and disable the fan by pulling one of the PL I/O pins to low. I don't have the IP blocks for the DPU instantiated by DNNDK, so I have to somehow load extra content on top of the boot image Deephi provides.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: Partial Synthesis on top of existing boot image

Jump to solution

No. You cannot modify a bit file. You will need some source of source, whether thats the HDL or some pre-compiled netlists.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

No. You cannot modify a bit file. You will need some source of source, whether thats the HDL or some pre-compiled netlists.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

dalud@andrew.cmu.edu,

Mr. Head is correct; without the design sources you will not be able to modify the existing PL implementation.  While the Partial Reconfiguration (PR) solution does not require that all partial images be present upon initial delivery, the full PL load must be one that was implemented ready for PR.  All partial images must be implemented in the context of a routed, locked static design so that consistency is maintained -- all the PL images (full and partial) must be compatible for safety.  So if the original boot image from Deephi is a "flat" design, it would need to be recompiled to add PR capabilities, or to change any functionality in the PL even if it's not dynamically reconfigurable.

thanks,

david.

[CMU ECE '93]

0 Kudos