Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arash9k
Adventurer
Adventurer

Problem with $readmemh at synthesis in Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using Vivado 2013.2 and I'm having problems with $readmemh. I have three modules: A, B, and C. Module A is the top module. It calls module B, and module B calls module C. I pass the name of a file from A to B, then from B to C. Module C in turn runs the command: $readmemh (filename , table , start , end).

The filename is in the form "../../../myfilename.txt". I did this because I have the file in the project's main directory, but my source files are three levels into the main directory.

Everything works fine (ie I can read the file) when simulating, however during synthesis I get this warning message:

[Synth 8-2898] ignoring malformed $readmem task: invalid memory name

Everything else in my program doesn't work as a result of this, because the synthesis process basically ignores my file.

However, when I use readmemh inside module A (ie the top module) and synthesize, I don't see the warning and everything is OK. All modules (A, B, and C) are in the same directory.

Can anybody help me with this? Why is synthesis complaining when I use readmemh from module C?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arash9k
Adventurer
Adventurer

$readmemh doesn't work when you access it's second argument by a constant (or an integer) later on in the design. So if you have $readmemh(filename, table, start, end) and later on you use table[i] to get the ith row, where i is an integer or genvar, $readmemh will not be able to read the file. If you want to access "table" row by row you have to use a wire or a reg as the index.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
arash9k
Adventurer
Adventurer

$readmemh doesn't work when you access it's second argument by a constant (or an integer) later on in the design. So if you have $readmemh(filename, table, start, end) and later on you use table[i] to get the ith row, where i is an integer or genvar, $readmemh will not be able to read the file. If you want to access "table" row by row you have to use a wire or a reg as the index.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
paulrobert
Visitor
Visitor

Hi guys, I had the same problem but in my Verilog is declared as:

// Memory Array
reg [31:0] memory[0:1023];

initial
begin
$readmemh("../Software/code.hex", memory);
end

WARNING: [Synth 8-2898] ignoring malformed $readmem task: invalid memory name

How to fix that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
hj
Check page 226 for proper coding example.
http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/books/docs/xst/xst.pdf

I hope this may help you.

Regards,
Harry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
paulrobert
Visitor
Visitor

The command is like the example of page 226. But in the example, he uses readmemb, but the structure should be the same for readmemh, right?

Another question is, when I compile using Vivado, where should I put this file? Into the same folder of verilog or in the folder where the project is run?

Do Memory and mem are reserved words?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Paulo

0 Kudos
paulrobert
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

The problem still present.

But one thing that I tested is putting the task on top level A. If task is present on Verilog top level, its work, but if I use in a sub block B instantiate on A, occurs this error. Why?

Thanks for the support.

Best regards.

Paulo

0 Kudos
geniooo
Visitor
Visitor

hi,

please can help me , 

i have same problem 

thanks 

0 Kudos