UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie chen18wijn@

RAM_MODE attributes

Hi,
I would like to know if there’s a way to infer a Block RAM as SDP using attributes. In the document UG473 page 35 it says specifically that there are attributes for this purpose, but I couldn’t find an example for that.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: RAM_MODE attributes

You can refer to "RAM_STYLE" attribute in UG901.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

chen18wijn@

I believe the UG473 is discussing the primitive based attributes and not the RTL inference based primitives:

RAM_MODE.PNG

Above snapshot was taken from language template of Vivado. 

In RTL you can guide the tool by using RAM_STYLE whether you want to infer BRAM or not, and based on RTL description and read-write structure, synthesis engine will infer the memory as SDP/TDP.

Thanks

Anusheel 

0 Kudos

Hi chen18wijn@

Welcome to the Xilinx Forum!

Xilinx document UG473 mostly discusses use of the RAM primitives (RAMB36E1 and RAMB18E1) to get block-RAM into your project.  This is not a very popular method.

Another way to get block-RAM (SDP in your case) is to infer it using the code examples found on pages pages 117-120 of Xilinx document UG901.  You can simply copy the code examples from UG901 into your project  -or-  on page 110 of UG901, you will find a link called "Coding Examples" that enables you to download the file, ug901-vivado-synthesis-examples.zip, with the code examples.

Finally, you can get block-RAM by using the Xilinx IP called the Block Memory Generator that is described by Xilinx document PG058.

In most cases, I prefer to infer block-RAM using the UG901 coding examples - since this helps keep my code portable.

Cheers,

Mark