Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcuong141
Observer
Observer

Retiming option of Synthesis

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am going to use retiming option of Synthesis Vivado2016.1. I have a point not clearly about it.

My query is about latency of circuit after retiming, Ex, If I had one combinational logic between two D-Flipflop, when retiming had done, how latency were from input to output ?

Thanks all,

Tan Cuong

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nagabhar
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @tcuong141

Retiming option only moves the existing register across comb logic. and do not insert new registers and hence latency of the circuit does not change with retiming.

-retiming: This boolean option <on|off> provides an option improve circuit performance for intra-clock sequential paths by automatically moving registers (register balancing) across combinatorial gates or LUTs. It maintains the original behavior and latency of the circuit and does not require changes to the RTL sources. The default is off.

refer page 11 of UG901
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_1/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @tcuong141

It maintains the original behavior and latency of the circuit and does not require changes to RTL.

i.e the latency will not be changed with retiming.

Retiming is an option improve circuit performance for intra-clock sequential paths by automatically moving registers
(register balancing) across combinatorial gates or LUTs.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
tcuong141
Observer
Observer

Thanks Vijay,

Can I ask more question ?

I have checked ug835-vivado-tcl-commands (v2016.1), I saw "retime" option of phys_opt_design.

What is different between "retiming" option of Synthesis and "retime" option of phys_opt_design ?

Will "retime" option of phys_opt_design maintain the original behavior and latency of the circuit ?

Thanks,

Tan Cuong

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Register balancing or Retiming enables a flip-flop retiming algorithm in the Vivado synthesis process.

Retiming will improve the design timing performance by moving flip-flops and latches across the logic to increase clock frequency.

Starting with Vivado 2015.3, retiming can be enabled in Vivado synthesis using the following Tcl command:

set_param synth.elaboration.rodinMoreOptions "rt::set_parameter synRetiming true"

Starting from Vivado 2016.1, a new option "-retiming" is added into Synthesis settings and synth_design command as a formal support of retiming.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
arpansur

Hi @tcuong141,

To understand regarding retime option in synthesis please go through http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65410.html.

In implementation-> phys_opt_design retime option re-time the registers forward through combinational logic to balance path delays. The delays calculated in implementation are more accurate. 

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
tcuong141
Observer
Observer

Hi Arpan,

In Implementation, Do you mean that the latency of the circuit will be not change by "retime" option ?

If the original circuit has two D-Flipflop, will the latency of circuit be two clock cycles when "retime" option has done ?

Thanks ,

Tan Cuong

0 Kudos
nagabhar
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @tcuong141

Retiming option only moves the existing register across comb logic. and do not insert new registers and hence latency of the circuit does not change with retiming.

-retiming: This boolean option <on|off> provides an option improve circuit performance for intra-clock sequential paths by automatically moving registers (register balancing) across combinatorial gates or LUTs. It maintains the original behavior and latency of the circuit and does not require changes to the RTL sources. The default is off.

refer page 11 of UG901
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_1/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

tcuong141
Observer
Observer
It seem clear now.

Thanks all,
Tan Cuong
0 Kudos