UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Running XST (command line) for two different versions of xilinx tool

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have two different versions of Xilinx installed (13.2 & 8.2 ) with later being used with some lagacy product maintanance. I am using command prompt to synthesize my code using differenet commnads like xst, ngdbuild. I want to know how can i switch from one version to another (i.e. sometimes i have to use xst 13.2 version and some time 8.2 version). Can anybody help me in doing these things.

Best Regards,

Uzair

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Running XST (command line) for two different versions of xilinx tool

Jump to solution

The batch file (e.g.  C:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE_DS\settings64.bat) for the IDS Command Prompt also works as a bootloader. If you pass a command with arguments to it, it will set up the environment for that release and then run the command. You can create a shortcut to your application and prepend the bootlaoder to the applicatin executable. I have a small write-up below with snapshots. Please take a look and see if it helps.:

Set up Xilinx IDS environment for non-IDS tools

Cheers,
Jim
8 Replies
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Jump to solution
Assuming that you running under some form of Windows, you need 2 different batch files. Each one will have to set up the PATH environmental variable to the appropriate setting, probably also run a settings file for 13.2. You may need different options to the tools, too, as these sometimes change by version.

I cannot be more precise, as I haven't used ISE 8 or ISE 13 (yet).

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply,

I have already done this before. But it has no effect on commands like xst, ngdbuild.

Best Regards,
Uzair

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

I would leave the system environment set up for the legacy 8.2 version, and then use the ISE

command prompt to run the 13.2 version.  Usually this is under the start menu as:

Programs --> ISE Design Suite 13.2 --> Accessories --> ISE Design Suite Command Prompt

This should set up your environment correctly for the command line tools.

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You need to set up at least "XILINX" and "PATH" environment variables for each ISE version when you run command line mode. If that does not work for you, I would say you did not setup the env vars correctly. Check the value of the env vars in the command line prompt in which you're going to run the command lines to see if you set up them correctly.

I recommand Gabor's method as posted above. When you install ISE 8.2 on windows, the system env vars are set up automatically. But this is not done for ISE 13.1. However, it has "ISE Design Suite Command Prompt" utility to provide a command prompt with all env vars set up for 13.1 and override the system env vars.

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi viviany & Gabor,

Thanks for your help. You are right and we can use "ISE Design Suite Command Prompt" to use the newer version. But problem is that if we want to call these processes (like xst, ngdbuild ) in some other application (like one written in .NET/C# or even C) how would we can do that?

Here are the my enviromental variables. I am running Windows XP with sp3.

LMC_HOME :         D:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE\smartmodel\nt\installed_nt

Path:                      C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;c:\Andriod\android-sdk\tools\;c:\Andriod\android-sdk\platform-tools\;D:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\;

XILINX:                    D:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE

XILINX_DSP:           D:\Xilinx\13.2\DSP_Tools\nt

XILNX_EDK             D:\Xilinx\13.2\EDK

XILINX_PLANAHEAD:                  D:\Xilinx\13.2\PlanAhead

Thanks and Best Regards,

Uzair

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

sorry about the long delay.  I was hoping some software guru would jump in on this

question.  Clearly it's a software issue.  It might make sense to ask this in a separate thread.

I seem to remember that in Unix there was a call like system (...) that allowed you

to essentially open a program as if it were run in a shell.  If I'm not mistaken the

call would normally start the program with the same environment as the parent

program, but there was a way to change the environment using arguments to

the call.  I'm sure that Windows has something similar available for C++ or C#

programs.  Certainly the ISE Navigator GUI sets up the environment for the

back-end tools before running them.  Unfortunately I don't think the ISE software

developers spend much time on these forums.  Most of us are just hardware

engineers struggling to use the software we're given :-)

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The batch file (e.g.  C:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE_DS\settings64.bat) for the IDS Command Prompt also works as a bootloader. If you pass a command with arguments to it, it will set up the environment for that release and then run the command. You can create a shortcut to your application and prepend the bootlaoder to the applicatin executable. I have a small write-up below with snapshots. Please take a look and see if it helps.:

Set up Xilinx IDS environment for non-IDS tools

Cheers,
Jim
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

thanks Gabor and Jim. The Jim's solution solves the problem.

Best Regards,

Uzair

0 Kudos