Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Shorthand notation for output signals

Jump to solution

Hello, I wonder if there is a way in Verilog  to abbreviate output signals. I have a design module that has 1024 10-bit registers that need to be sent to other modules, it is simply too tedious to list them all out, not to mention about being error prone, is it possible to use Generate to declare these output signals or something like that? I have tried to search for similar examples without success.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

To get register "i" you would use

control_reg_o[i*10 +: 10]

This uses the variable part select syntax in Verilog, and is fully supported in any Verilog-2001 compliant synthesis tool or simulator (which all Xilinx products are).

The first example will work in SystemVerilog only. But Vivado fully supports SystemVerilog - you just need to turn on the SystemVerilog flag for the files in question (ISE does not support SystemVerilog, except through external synthesis and simulation tools).

Avrum

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @hphung,

Are you talking about in and out port declaration?

If so I am not sure if this is an acceptable workaround:

You can write a Tcl script to generate the out port syntax and paste it in RTL.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

That's a LOT of registers.  It's going to take a significant amount of resources just for them!  That's a lot of flip-flops.

In any event, I'd declare them in one line.  Array's are your friend.

output wire [ 1023 : 0 ] [ 9 : 0 ] control_reg_o

Done!

If you don't wish to use SystemVerilog, then a slightly modified Verilog-2001 form:

output wire [ ( 1024 * 10 ) - 1 : 0 ] control_reg_o

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Yes, this is for the output port declaration. If all else fails, I will have to take up on your suggestion. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Mark,

I read somewhere that one cannot pass the array out to other modules, but I could be wrong.

Your second suggestion may work, but I just don't know how to address each of these registers, please give an example, thanks.

Hue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

To get register "i" you would use

control_reg_o[i*10 +: 10]

This uses the variable part select syntax in Verilog, and is fully supported in any Verilog-2001 compliant synthesis tool or simulator (which all Xilinx products are).

The first example will work in SystemVerilog only. But Vivado fully supports SystemVerilog - you just need to turn on the SystemVerilog flag for the files in question (ISE does not support SystemVerilog, except through external synthesis and simulation tools).

Avrum

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi @hphung,

I was telling something like the following Tcl coomand:

for {set i 0} {$i < 100} {incr i} {
puts "reg_$i"
}

This will print from reg_0 to reg_99 also you can change the statement inside puts to print the way you want to put into RTL.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Avrum, that is great, thanks! Hue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Arpan, got it, thanks for being so helpful. Hue

0 Kudos