cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ravics
Observer
Observer

Spectral Averaging VHDL

How can I perform spectral averaging using VHDL? I'm getting output from Xilinx FFT IP Core & need to average several successive spectra? What is the methodology for Spectral Averaging?

Any sample code of averaging for efficient synthesis would help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

I believe this is the part of your design which you will need to figure out and design, based on your design requirements.  No-one in these forums will understand your design as well as you.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher

Do you just want an arithmetic average every N outputs?
Or a rolling average?
Or some sort of IIR effect?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
martinthompson
Explorer
Explorer

If you really want to average (ie find the mean) the spectrum over several iterations, there's not much you can do but add up the values and divide by the number of iterations:

Create a large RAM block with one bin per FFT bin.

After each FFT, iterate over the bins, reading the current value from RAM, adding the latest value and storing it back.   Call this RAM block the "bin accumulators"

Also keep track of how many times you've done this.  Call this counter the "stored count"

When it comes to readout, divide each of the bin accumulators by the stored count and send the result on.

Keep your number of iterations a power of 2 to make the divider into a trivial shift.

Martin Thompson
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/electronic-hardware
ravics
Observer
Observer

FFT output is stored in Block Memory Generator IP. How access memory elements according to address? FFT output width is 16 bit with 1024 NFFT, block ram word length is 16 bit with 1024 depth.

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

Your question is a little vague. You can access BRAM elements by address - just feed an address in to an address port.

The FFT core has nice index signals, XN_INDEX and XK_INDEX, which you can use to interface with your BRAM's address port. When I last implemented an FFT magnitude averaging scheme, I used the optional three cycle input data timing delay to give myself plenty of time to read the previous value out and add it to the new value (the data sheet claims that this shouldn't be necessary 'in many cases')

ravics
Observer
Observer

Can SRL be used for std_logic_vector division?

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

I can't really think how you'd sensibly accomplish a division with a SRL. They operate on a single bit at a time and the FFT outputs entire words. Power of two division can easily be done with LUTs:

reg [15:0] number;
wire [7:0] divided_by_256;

assign divided_by_256[7:0] = number[15:8];

If you fed a number into a SRL, LSB first, and then changed the length (using dynamic shift mode) you could produce a programmable power of two divider, sort of. But you might need a state machine to drive it, and it'd have considerable latency.