UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

Stuck in synthesis

I'm currently using Vivado 2017.3.1 and targeting a Virtex 7 part (xc7v2000tflg1925-1). The design takes ~30% of the device. I'm running into a synthesis issue where the synthesis cycle gets to the end and the last entry in the Log is as follows:

INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Wed Aug 1 16:20:24 2018...

I've been stuck here over 2 hours (as of this message posting). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this. My laptop information is as follows:

Toshiba Satellite P750

Intel Corei7

64 bit

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Stuck in synthesis

Hi, @ bjackson_ost ,
Could you try to run synthesis in the Vivado 2018.2?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you using GUI project or Tcl script?

Could you post your Synthesis log/report file?

-vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos

@bjackson_ost

Could be an intermittent issue, Can you try restarting your machine and rerun vivado synthesis?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@syedz Yes, the issue sometimes goes away when I restart my laptop or restart Vivado.
0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@ hongh. I'm using the GUI. I'll post the log file should I encounter the same issue.
0 Kudos

@bjackson_ost,

can you run process monitor and check for any additional files which causes synthesis to stuck?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Is this specific to one project or for all the vivado projects?

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@viviany

I'm using the GUI. I'll post the log if I have the same issue.
0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@syedz

This happens to this specific design. I'll try that process monitor and let you know. The design I'm working on is a mix of both VHDL and Verilog. Some of the Verilog sub designs have Verilog header files.
0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@syedz

I installed the process monitor you suggested. I ran synthesis and this time it's stuck on the "Loading part: xc7v2000tflg1925-1" phase. I checked the process monitor in real time and notice what I think is strange. It looks like a continuous loop where the same group of files are being created and closed. Specially, under the "Operation" column, there's a "CreateFile-CloseFile" continuous loop. Strange. Thoughts/suggestions?

0 Kudos
Participant bjackson_ost
Participant

@syedz@viviany@hongh,

It looks like I had to exit Vivado a few times and restart/shutdown my laptop. It's intermittent and I think the size of my design (~30% utilization) contributes.

0 Kudos

@bjackson_ost

1. We need to first understand whether this is a design issue or machine specific issue. Can you try to run the same design on other machine?

2. Can you check .runs/Synth_1 folder and see whether the .dcp file got generated or not? If generated, try to use it for implementation phase as a temporary work around.

3. If you are able to see the same issue on other machines as well, can you share the project archive with us? I will setup an EZmove for file sharing.

Thanks

Anusheel 

0 Kudos