UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[Synth 8-3332] Sequential element (\FSM_onehot_currentState) is unused and will be removed

Jump to solution

I am using multiple FSM in my module, Linux , Vivado 2013.3..

When I assign every signal in every state (for every FSM avoiding multi-drivers for any signal) to avoid unwanted latchs

I got my whole design optimized away

the module is synthesised empty

what is wrong here?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: [Synth 8-3332] Sequential element (\FSM_onehot_currentState) is unused and will be removed

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can prevent the optimization of those registers by placing FSM_ENCODING attribute on them.

Please check the snapshot below for further detailsfsm.PNG

By selecting the value "off" for this particular attribute, you will be able to keep the register in the synthesized netlist without optimization.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: [Synth 8-3332] Sequential element (\FSM_onehot_currentState) is unused and will be removed

Jump to solution

Can you share the design files so that it will help to debug the issue further?

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please make sure the state machine driving elements are active (connected ) so that the tool doesn't trim them as unconnected.

If you think the code is valid ,try to have the don't_touch attribute on the signals listed as trimming/removed.please share the design in this case.

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

here is vhdl file

with four FSMs

one controlls the other  three

after synthesis , two are infered as onehot FSM and the others are ignored

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @ghada_abozaid 

There are certain missing files and package because of which the issue cannot be reproduced. Can you please send the complete files ?

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi ,

Can you give the details of which state machine is not inferred?
Also please share the synthesis log and the rest of the file to reproduce the issue.

Regards,
Achutha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

mac and loading FSM are inferred 

but they are optimized away 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ashishd here are the sources 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have downloaded your design and tried to reproduce the issue.

When I synthesized the project, I am able to see the registers for loading, offloading, MAC and controller FSM without the warning as you have mentioned.

Please check the snapshot of netlist view.   

netlist.PNG

Can you let me know the value of -fsm_extraction switch in Synthesis Setting dialogue box?

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I tried 

Auto

then gray code

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
Were the results similar?
When you select 'auto' for this switch, the tool to choose the best encoding for each state machine identified. In this case, the tool may use different encoding styles for different FSMs in the same design. Can you share the synthesis log?
Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

using auto or gray fsm extraction was giving me same warnings 

But 

I did make small modification in some signals assignment , and the warnings about the FSM gone

but , that make me wonder  How it wored wth you without these modifications? that make me belive that some thing is not right , I could not figure out what!!

now I have some registers optimized out 

to priecsism,  two registers 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can prevent the optimization of those registers by placing FSM_ENCODING attribute on them.

Please check the snapshot below for further detailsfsm.PNG

By selecting the value "off" for this particular attribute, you will be able to keep the register in the synthesized netlist without optimization.

Regards,
Ashish

Jump to solution

Thank you so much @ashishd 

0 Kudos