UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

[Synth 8-657] type mismatch for generic 'integer_values' (Mixed language design)

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I have a mixed-language design where I would like to instantiate a VHDL module in a Verilog file. The module has the following definition:

entity vhdl_module is
generic (
integer_values: work.vectors_and_arrays.integer_vector(7 downto 0) := (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)

);
port(
-- list of ports
);
end vhdl_module;

The vector definition is as simple as follows:

type integer_vector     is array (natural range <>) of integer;

and my instantiation is:

vhdl_module
      #(
        .integer_values({0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0})       
        )
       I_vhdl_module (
//port connections
        );

That does not work and trying something like 32'd0 or 1'd0 instead of just 0 did not work any better. What I want to do is simply passing an integer value so I guess the solution must be rather simple, but I did not find it yet. By the way, the VHDL module works fine in a VHDL design where I instantiate it like that:

integer_values => (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)  

So I guess I just need to find the right way to pass an integer value...

Thanks in advance!

Regards, 

javichu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: [Synth 8-657] type mismatch for generic 'integer_values' (Mixed language design)

Jump to solution

@javichu 

Vivado synthesis supports the following VHDL generic types and their Verilog equivalents for mixed language designs: integer, real, string, boolean. -- UG901

The usage looks unsupported. Can you try to modify the generics as normal single integer values and then try to pass it from Verilog module?

Thanks
Anusheel 

3 Replies

Re: [Synth 8-657] type mismatch for generic 'integer_values' (Mixed language design)

Jump to solution

@javichu

Can you please check Chapter 9 in below link and make sure the usage is supported:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello @anusheel,

thanks for your reply. I did not find anything about integer values, but either found anything about boolean values and that works fine in my design. In that case I use the following definition:

type boolean_vector     is array (natural range <>) of boolean;

and I can pass my paremeters like that without getting any error:

.boolean_values({1'b0,1'b1,1'b0,1'b0,1'b1,1'b0,1'b0,1'b0})

So I don't know what usages are supported... But let's suppose my VHDL module has just one parameter e.g. a single integer value. How could I pass an integer value from Verilog? would anything like ".integer_value(5)" work? Then I could modify the VHDL module to get my integer values separately. I have also read that System Verilog might work better, but I don't know how to define a file or a code section as System Verilog instead of Verilog. Would that make sense? 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@javichu 

Vivado synthesis supports the following VHDL generic types and their Verilog equivalents for mixed language designs: integer, real, string, boolean. -- UG901

The usage looks unsupported. Can you try to modify the generics as normal single integer values and then try to pass it from Verilog module?

Thanks
Anusheel