Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alain_k
Observer
Observer

Synthesis multithreading

Hi

According to AR# 52905, Vivado supports multithreading for synthesis. So why do I still only have one core at 100% while the others are close to idle? Do I have to enable it somewhere? I'm using Vivado 2015.2.

Thanks

Alain

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aher
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
To enable multi thread you need to use
set_param general.maxThreads <new limit>

For more information on this refer UG901.

-Shreyas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @alain_k

You can use the following command to know current multi-threading status.

get_param general.maxThreads

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
alain_k
Observer
Observer

I tried that and it returns 8. It's still only running on one core.

0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @alain_k

Can you please attach your syntheis report?

Do you see any run time issues with this? How much time does vivado taking to complete the synthesis?

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
alain_k
Observer
Observer

It takes 12min. I don't know if that is much for my design, but shouldn't all cores be used anyway? I attached the report.

0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @alain_k

From the report looks like your design is big.

1) Which OS are you using?

2) Try running in other machine...just to ruleout machine specific issues if any.

3) Try running with -directive RuntimeOptimized (see the screenshot)

4) I see that you are using 2015.2. Can you try migrating to the latest version 2015.4

Thanks,Vijay
Capture.JPG
0 Kudos