UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Synthesis passes but Open Elaborated Design fails, why?

Main question is in the subject line itself. I am using Vivado 2018.3.

When I run the Open Elaborated Design I get a failure.

ERROR: Top module empty or no top module found.
940 Infos, 138 Warnings, 0 Critical Warnings and 1 Errors encountered.
synth_design failed
ERROR: [Vivado_Tcl 4-5] Elaboration failed - please see the console for details

But please see the SS where the top modules are clearly assigned and inside its the complete hierarchy of sub-modules is also present.

Untitled.png

Any ideas why I am getting this error?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Synthesis passes but Open Elaborated Design fails, why?

Could you attach the log files of the failed elaboration run and passing synthesis run?

-vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Observer larshb
Observer

It is impossible to say without your log, but from my experience a usual suspect is mismatched array sizes. I can see you are mixing VHDL with Verilog. This might be part of the reason why synthesis works, but not elaboration.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I know where to find the synth log but where should I look for a log of the 'Open Elaborated Design'?

All that I have is some o/p at the TCL console and I don't see any error message.Please see the console o/p in the txt file attached.

Note that whatever Warning messages you see below are all from Xilinx MIG IP Core.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Does Synthesis run pass?

Could you also provide the Synthesis run log?

-vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@viviany,

Yes synthesis passes with some Warnings (not critical warning). I would also want to add that the design has also been sucessfully Implemented and tested on an Artix7 FPGA.

Would it make sense for you to analyze a passing synth log file?

What is the subtle dependency/difference b/w Elaborate and synthesis (I know that constraints and library transformations are not applied during Elaboration) that can lead to an error like this?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just hope to get some clue by comparing the two logs.

Elaboration is kind of the first step of Synthesis.

If the top level has something wrong in Elaboration, the same thing should also happen in Synthesis.

What is your purpose of opening the Elaborated design?

As Synthesis passes, you can open synthesized design for your analysis.

If you don't mind, please provide the synthesis log for investigation.

-vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos

Hi @gin_xil ,

Which Vivado version are you using? 

Please check that two things. 1. Make sure there are no syntax errors in your design sources. 2. Make sure there are no missing source files in your design sources. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@vivianyThe synth log as well.

@hemangdno problems with <1> and <2>.

0 Kudos

Hi @gin_xil ,

Is it possible to share the archived project or testcase to reproduce this issue at my end ? If yes, then i will send ezmove ftp through which you can provide it.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@viviany @hemangd ,

Sorry can't share the project or its test case.

Have already provided the elaborate log and synthesis log. Can't any info be derived from them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What if you remove -rtl_skip_ip option?

What is your purpose of using this option?

-vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos

Hi @gin_xil ,

Which OS version are you using? 

And can you try to overcome this critical warnings and then run synthesis directly?

CRITICAL WARNING: [Designutils 20-1280] Could not find module 'slot_gmii_rx_fifo'. The XDC file c:/Work/elog/fpga_a7/sources/ip2/slot_gmii_rx_fifo/slot_gmii_rx_fifo.xdc will not be read for any cell of this module.
CRITICAL WARNING: [Designutils 20-1280] Could not find module 'slot_gmii_rx_fifo'. The XDC file c:/Work/elog/fpga_a7/sources/ip2/slot_gmii_rx_fifo/slot_gmii_rx_fifo_clocks.xdc will not be read for any cell of this module.

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@hemangd,

I am using Win7 SP1.

Well that gmii_rx_fifo is being instiantiated on the basis of some generic. I can securely say that it does not affect the Impl stage.

However for this problem, I will resolve it and observe what happens.

0 Kudos