cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

VHDL 2008 Context Support

When can we expect support for VHDL 2008 Context feature?

context my_context is
  library ieee;
  use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
  use ieee.numeric_std.all;

library some_lib;
  use some_lib.some_package.all;

end context my_context;

library my_lib;
context my_lib.my_context;

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rshekhaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @richardhead ,

I tried to create a simple test case, using context in VHDL-2008 in Vivado 2019.1 and there it is not supported. I also tested the same test case on upcoming Vivado release internal builds and there it is getting synthesized successfully and also the context color shade is in pink which repersents that it has been added in upcoming release.So i guess itwill be available in the upcoming release build.

Attached the test case RTL.

Thanks,

Raj

bdt-hts
Adventurer
Adventurer

@rshekhaw, any updates on this? VHDL 2008 contexts still seem to be unsupported in Vivado 2020.1. Please advise.

0 Kudos
eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

I have been using this context definition in my designs (Vivado 2019.1) without issue:

------------- Top of a package file I have --------

context vhdl_std_libs is

library ieee;
        use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
        use ieee.std_logic_misc.all;
        use ieee.std_logic_textio.all;
        use ieee.numeric_std.all;
        use ieee.math_real.all;

library std;
        use std.textio.all;

end context vhdl_std_libs;

------ Library definition on the top of all of my HDL files -------

context work.vhdl_std_libs;
    use work.vhdl_support_pkg.all;

0 Kudos
viviany
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@bdt-hts 

What error did you encountered when using VHDL context?

Please start a new post for your question, with details about the problem.

-vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
bdt-hts
Adventurer
Adventurer

@viviany, I tested context support again in 2020.1 and found it to work. I do not recall the specifics of the problems encountered previously, but I was mistaken to assert that 2020.1 does not support contexts.

However, the Vivado editor does not appear to be aware of the ieee_std_context. It synthesizes fine, but the editor displays "Error: suffix 'ieee_std_context' in the context reference does not denote a context declaration". Is this a bug in the editor or am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot 2020-09-17 101008.png

Screenshot 2020-09-17 101008.png
0 Kudos
bdt-hts
Adventurer
Adventurer

@viviany,

I rediscovered the problem with context support in 2020.1. If the top-level VHDL file is not of type VHDL-2008, then contexts may not be used in other files in the design even if they are of type VHDL-2008. "Just set the top-level VHDL file to type VHDL-2008, then", right? The problem then is that the design cannot be added as a module to IP Integrator because IP Integrator does not support modules with a top-level file of type VHDL-2008.

What that means then, is that contexts cannot be used in a design if it is to be instantiated as a module in IP Integrator. This is quite unfortunate. I have attached a test case that demonstrates this. If you synthesize as-is, it will fail and report "ERROR: [Synth 8-2713] suffix test_ctx in the context reference does not denote a context declaration". If you change test.vhd to type VHDL-2008, synthesis then succeeds. Please verify my findings and report this to the development team. Thank you.

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

So it appears this has actually been supported since Vivado 2019.2. Shame noone at Xilinx updated UG901 to reflect the fact (no mention in 2020.2 version)

@viviany any chance of a CR to sort out the documentation?

0 Kudos
viviany
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'll take a look and let you know @richardhead @bdt-hts 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos