UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VHDL 2008 ELEMENT attribute incorrectly implemented by Vivado

I have tested this with Vivado 2016.1, will test and update later with 2016.3, but as I can find no reference to this issue anywhere I suspect it's not known to Xilinx.

Consider the following example code:

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

entity top is
port (
    data_i : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    data_o : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0)
);
end top;

architecture Behavioral of top is
    type vector_array is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector;
    signal va : vector_array(0 to 1)(7 downto 0);

constant len : natural := va'ELEMENT'LENGTH;
    subtype vr is natural range len downto 0;

begin
    data_o <= (vr => data_i(vr), others => '0');
end;

This should fail to compile, having set len to 8, and vr to the range 8 downto 0; however, instead from looking at the generated netlist it seems that len has been set to 1.  Oh dear.  If I try to use va'ELEMENT'RANGE the results are even stranger.

From every account and example I've seen (I don't yet have access to a copy of the 2008 standard), vr'ELEMENT should behave just like vr(ix) where ix is some valid index into vr'RANGE (and should still work even if vr'RANGE is empty); in this example, vr'ELEMENT should behave like the type std_logic_vector(7 downto 0).  I can't tell what Vivado thinks it's doing here, my guess is that vr'ELEMENT is behaving somewhat like std_logic.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VHDL 2008 ELEMENT attribute incorrectly implemented by Vivado

Hi @araneidae

This is a known issue in 2016.1

As a workaround in 2016.1, you can use va(0)'length

constant len : natural := va(0)'LENGTH;

From VHDL-2008 LRM,

A'LENGTH [(N)] : parameter is a locally static expression of type universal_integer, the value of which shall not exceed the dimensionality of A. If omitted, it defaults to 1.

In 2016.1, this treats this as being omitted and defaulting to 1.

From 2016.3, vivado will provide an error that the attribute is not supported.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Fixed in 2016.3?  Are you sure about this?  I've fixed the obvious bug in the code, changing the definition of vr to

subtype vr is natural range len-1 downto 0;

but leaving the rest unchanged, and I've loaded the project into Vivado 2016.3 ... and I get the following error:

ERROR: [Synth 8-5882] found unsupported attribute [top.vhd:15]
ERROR: [Synth 8-421] mismatched array sizes in rhs and lhs of assignment [top.vhd:15]

Don't think I understand this error message.  If I change 'ELEMENT to (0), as suggested above, I get the expected result, so it's definitely a problem with ELEMENT.

As you say, 'ELEMENT is more or less an alias for (0) ... except for one major difference: 'ELEMENT is valid even if 0 is not in range, indeed even if the range is empty.

You say "you will observe error message indicating that lhs and rhs lengths are not equal", which is indeed what I see ... but this makes no sense to me.  What does this error message mean?  Is it just a cryptic way of repeating the "found unsupported attribute" message?

I guess changing a broken implementation to "unsupported" is a step forward.  I could not find any erratum referencing this issue, but searching for "ELEMENT attribute" is remarkably fruitless!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ok, I've read your reply more carefully.

1. As you say, the attribute has changed from incorrectly implement to not implemented.
  2. The subsequent error messages are gibberish and need to be ignored.
  3. The "workaround" continues to be needed in 2016.3; I was confused that you seemed to be implying otherwise.

Ah well.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @araneidae

It is not fixed in 2016.3.I have updated my post later.

After testing 2016.3 I realized that from 2016.3, 'element attribute is not supported.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

On the plus side, I guess it seems we agree on the expected semantics of 'ELEMENT, which spares me some painful spelunking into the standards document. On the other hand, why on earth are your language people unable to implement this apparently very straightforward feature?!

0 Kudos
Observer nikhenri
Observer

The element attribut work correctly, the problem is the support of back-to-back attribute

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Vivado-bug-with-back-to-back-VHDL-attribute-report-false-error/td-p/937219