cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VHDL-2008 target aggregate assignment BUG

Hello,

I have found a bug concerning assignment to aggregates. The assignment fails when one of the target signals has a width of 0.
Here is an example I have been testing on:

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;

entity EXAMPLE is
generic(
    WIDTH : natural := 8
);
port(
    CLK   : in std_logic;

IN_A  : in  std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0);
    IN_B  : in  std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0);

OUT_A : out std_logic_vector(WIDTH+1-1 downto 0);
    OUT_B : out std_logic_vector(0-1 downto 0)
);
end entity;

architecture FULL of EXAMPLE is

signal result : unsigned(WIDTH+1-1 downto 0);

begin

my_process : process (CLK)
    begin
        if (rising_edge(CLK)) then
            result <= ("0" & unsigned(IN_A)) + ("0" & unsigned(IN_B));

(OUT_A, OUT_B) <= std_logic_vector(result);
        end if;
    end process;

end architecture;

This code should correctly calculate the sum of IN_A and IN_B and propagate the result to OUT_A. However, in the aggregate assignment Vivado (2019.1.1) synthesis incorrectly evaluates the width of OUT_B as 2 and the result of is signal OUT_A is actually 'OUT_A <= "00" & result(WIDTH+1-1 downto 2)'.
This is the result of synthesis:
example.png

Best regards,
kenobi314159

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

As far as i know the definition of std_logic_vector is :

type std_logic_vector is array (natural range <> ) of std_logic;

And therefore OUT_B : out std_logic( -1 downto 0 ) is illegal.

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @kenobi314159 

There seems to be an issue in the handling of null type ports when used in aggregate slices. Simulation mismatch can be seen in a simple assignment-

(OUT_A, OUT_B) <= ("1" & IN_A);

I will keep you posted on my findings further.

-Shreyas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@kenobi314159 

I suspect its related to Vivado's bad handling of port ranges - see the following bug report

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/BUG-VIVADO-2019-2-2008-Null-arrays-have-non-zero-length-through/td-p/1048292

@calibra 

While std_logic_vector is ranged with a natural, the VHDL standard allowed any index if the range results a null range. So -ve values here are allowed. It means you can have a standard genericed port map and allow 0 length and not give an elaboration error.

generic (
  W : natural;
)
port ( ip : in std_logic_vector(W-1 downto 0);
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @kenobi314159 

This is an issue with handling on null ranges and I have filed bug report for this. This issue will be fixed in future release.

-Shreyas

Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos