UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

[VHDL] BEL is not an attribute (in a package) [Vivado 2017.2.1]

Highlighted
Voyager

[VHDL] BEL is not an attribute (in a package) [Vivado 2017.2.1]

The following code ...

package pkg is
attribute DONT_TOUCH : string;
attribute BEL : string; end package; library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.ALL; library unisim; use unisim.VCOMPONENTS.ALL; use work.pkg.ALL; entity test is port (Q : out std_logic); end entity; architecture RTL of test is attribute DONT_TOUCH of LUT_inst : label is "TRUE"; attribute BEL of LUT_inst : label is "A6LUT"; begin LUT_inst : LUT1 port map (I0 => '1', O => Q); end RTL;

... results in a surprising error when synthesized ...

ERROR: [Synth 8-1026] bel is not an attribute [/bel_bug/bel.vhd:22]

... note that commenting out the DONT_TOUCH attribute declaration results in a different error ...

ERROR: [Synth 8-1031] dont_touch is not declared [/bel_bug/bel.vhd:23]

... and adding the BEL attribute declaration right before the attribute is assigned makes it work as expected.

Please consider fixing in a future release.

Thanks in advance,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Explorer

Re: [VHDL] BEL is not an attribute (in a package) [Vivado 2017.2.1]

I am not sure about this, but, can you use in an entity, attributes that were defined in a package?

I thought attributes were local to a block (entity, package, etc.)

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Voyager

Hey @a_chami,

can you use in an entity, attributes that were defined in a package?

The standard is quite clear here (1076-1993) ...

Items declared immediately within a package declaration become visible by selection within a given design unit wherever the name of that package is visible in the given unit. Such items may also be made directly visible by an appropriate use clause (see 10.4).

Best,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Xilinx Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi @hpoetzl

Filed CR#985174 for this issue.

Thanks,
Manusha

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many issues might be already discussed in forums and documented in Answer Records. Do a Google and Xilinx forum search before posting the query.
Visit www.xilinx.com -> Documentation for any Xilinx Products Documents.
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful so that it will help the other forum users to directly refer to the answer.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------