UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

VHDL - Hierarchical reference

Jump to solution

Hi all,

in VHDL2008 there was added hierarchical names for use in testbenches: Hierarchical Names [Doulos]

I really like this feature for use in testbenches because signals can be traced.

Now my project leader wants to know if this is working for Synthesis in the Vivado toolchain as well (for reading and writing some signals). Background is that we use an flow from another team and need some signals which aren't ports and we cannot modify that code so easily.

Even if this would be the simplest and fastest way I hope - to be honest - that this feature is not available for synthesis. Even if it would be the simplest solution for our current problem I really don't want to to this because I know how ugly and bad this coding style would be.

So please don't judge me for that question because I would hate that possibility as well but for the sake of completeness I have to ask that question. :)

Kind regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: VHDL - Hierarchical reference

Jump to solution

@richardhead,

I only referred to the synth guide because the OP asked a Q about the synth ability of that feature.

May be I should have written - I didn't find it there too, so I assume that feature is not support by Vivado for synthesis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@sebastian_z,

have you referred to the https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf Synthesis Guide?

See Chapter-6 for VHDL2008 supported features.

Now my project leader wants to know if this is working for Synthesis in the Vivado toolchain as well (for reading and writing some signals).

Wait a minute, as I understand it, this is a test-bench feature!

FPGA enthusiast!
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @dpaul24

thank you very much for your answer. In that document I just found something about hierarchical names in the Verilog / SystemVerilog section.

So I assume that feature is even unsupported for testbenches in the ISim. Perhaps anyone could confirm that?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

I didn't find it there too, so I assume that feature is not support by Vivado.

FPGA enthusiast!
0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

External Names (the official VHDL term) is supported in Vivado simulation:

Xilinx refer to it as "Hierarchical references to signal"

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug900-vivado-logic-simulation.pdf

Dont expect synthesis support any time soon

@dpaul24 No feature of VHDL is proscribed only for simulation or synthesis. Vendors chose what features they want to support, and alot of VHDL is currently simulation only (and unlikely to ever be useable in a synthesisor).

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@richardhead,

I only referred to the synth guide because the OP asked a Q about the synth ability of that feature.

May be I should have written - I didn't find it there too, so I assume that feature is not support by Vivado for synthesis.

FPGA enthusiast!
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@sebastian_z  "Now my project leader wants to know if this is working for Synthesis in the Vivado toolchain as well (for reading and writing some signals)."

For what it's worth, Xilinx has previously declared that Vivado Synthesis will not support global signals in packages (which could be used similarly to the new 2008 hierarchical references for probing in testbenches without plumbing signals though ports)

AR# 65848  Will Vivado Synthesis support global signals in VHDL? (signals declared in a package)
  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65848.html

-Brian

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Using-VHDL-global-signals-signals-declared-in-a-package/td-p/495356

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/XST-Detected-unknown-constraint-property-quot-package-net-quot/m-p/365349#M9138

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @brimdavis

cool. That sounds good. So we have to find another and - most of all - better solution. :)

Kind regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

@sebastian_z

I think you misread @brimdavis post. Xilinx have said they WILL NOT support global signals (and neither will Altera/Intel)

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @richardhead

I think I understood correctly. :)

I like that they don't support that features because it will lead to very bad code which nobody will ever be able to debug. So I like that I can tell my project leader that we have to do it in a proper way which will be more work but will lead to better code. :)

Kind regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos