cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

Vivado 2013.3 ignores KEEP and MARK_DEBUG attributes in vhdl files

Jump to solution

In my design I use a few  KEEP and MARK_DEBUG to prevent Vivado from renaming or removing signals necessary for debugging. In 2013.2 this works fine with the following code in the VHDL file.

ATTRIBUTE MARK_DEBUG : string;

ATTRIBUTE MARK_DEBUG of c2s1_tvalid: SIGNAL IS "TRUE";

But now it seems to be broken in 2013.3. In the runme.log appaers "Detected and applied attribute mark_debug = TRUE" but nothing happens. Vivado renames or removes the signals.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Vivado 2013.3 ignores KEEP and MARK_DEBUG attributes in vhdl files

Jump to solution

I tried to create a new project with this behavior. But I was unable to repreduce it. After playing around with the synthesis settings I realized that there are options in this project other than in my original project. See the attached files.

The Vivado 2012 screenshot is captured in Vivado 2013.3. The second screenshot shows the options after loading the default strategy. Now everything works es expected. I think there was a problem with migrating the synthesis options from Vivado 2012 through 2013.2 to 2013.3.

I'm not shure if theres a automatic migration procedure of the project options if there are new default options or options are deprecated....

In the future I will reset all project options after upgrading Vivado.

Thanks

Christian

View solution in original post

Synthesis_settings_Vivado_2012.png
Synthesis_settings_Vivado_2013.3.png
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

This happens only with "-flatten_hierarchy" set to "none". With "rebuilt" everthing works as expected. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Are there any warning messages related to the attribute set?

Did you try to set the property from XDC?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If you also add dont_touch attribute to the signal, do you get the same outcome as 2013.2?

Thanks

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

The dont_touch attribute didn't work. It looks like Vivado also ignores this attribute.

Also adding the attribute (property) from XDC faills.

set_property MARK_DEBUG 1 [get_nets ...]
set_property KEEP 1 [get_nets ...]

The nets are already renamed or removed.

And in the log files theres no error, warning, info or status message. Only the sentence "Detected and applied attribute mark_debug = TRUE [..../Main_wrapped_xilinx_trd.vhd:132]". This is curious because the given line numbers are wrong.

Thanks for your help

Christian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Can you provide your project so that we can reproduce the issue to help you?

Vivian

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

I tried to create a new project with this behavior. But I was unable to repreduce it. After playing around with the synthesis settings I realized that there are options in this project other than in my original project. See the attached files.

The Vivado 2012 screenshot is captured in Vivado 2013.3. The second screenshot shows the options after loading the default strategy. Now everything works es expected. I think there was a problem with migrating the synthesis options from Vivado 2012 through 2013.2 to 2013.3.

I'm not shure if theres a automatic migration procedure of the project options if there are new default options or options are deprecated....

In the future I will reset all project options after upgrading Vivado.

Thanks

Christian

View solution in original post

Synthesis_settings_Vivado_2012.png
Synthesis_settings_Vivado_2013.3.png
0 Kudos