UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Vivado 2014.4 Abnormal Program

Hi,

I have developed a project in Vivado 2014.4. I was working with my design that I closed the programming Window (FPGA Configuration) during Synthesis process. Then I received "Exception_Access_Violation" error and Vivado was closed. Even after clearing the whole project it doesn't work.The message comes below:

Abnormal Program termination. 

Please check "hs_err_pid668.log" file for detail.

This file doesn't give me any extra information. 

I would appreciate any help.

Hossein.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Vivado 2014.4 Abnormal Program

Hi @embedded,

What do you actually mean by "I closed the programming Window (FPGA Configuration) during Synthesis process, then I received "Exception_Access_Violation" error". Is the tool throwing this termination during normal synthesis run? If yes, did you check the runme log file to see at which phase this is occurring? Which OS are you using here?

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have few suggestions to narrow down this issue because as it's crash it's difficult to find the root cause.

1) What's your OS?

2) Can you try the same steps with Xilinx example design? (Let us know if it's causing same issue).

3) Can you check to synthesize your design (you are working on) with any other machine/OS?

4) At which phase of synthesis it's causing crash? You will get info in log file.

I am asking some basics checks to narrow down the issue because this might be OS specific/ Machine specific/ Design specific.

Thanks,
Yash

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi,

I mean the JTAG cable was connected to the target FPGA and I had configured it. It is actually Hardware Manager Window inside Vivado!.

Then, I switched to Project Manager and tried to recompile the project because I had made some changes in code. When I decided to close JTAG connection that this crash happened and I could no longer resolve the issue.

I should add that I moved the source and IP cores to a new project as well as constraint files and this new project is working finely,

I guess that some changes have been made in my *.xpr file!.

I am using Windows 7 64-Bit

Thanks,

Hossein

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi,

1- OS os Windows7 64-Bit

2- Other Projects are working finely. This project only fails in Synthesis and it is in the very beginning.

3- I don't have other OS to check with them.

4- Which log file you mean?

Thans,

Hossein

0 Kudos

Hi @embedded,

runme.log > In project mode, they are written to the .runs directory and then the tool directory.

For synthesis, the default location would be <project_name>.runs/synth_x

Since this is a crash issue, if possible can you try this in Vivado 2017.2/2017.1?

Regards,
Prathik
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

@prathikm & @yashp,

Although I've got enough of your useless comments - You are only trying to get Kudos- I have to make something clear for you guys. Pay attention and don't try to give humorous hints like : "test it on the other OS", "Test newer versions" These recommendations take at least a day or two for me!. 

This behavior happens on series of strange circumstances!. Sometimes I change my code and it is bug - or syntax error -  free and I get this Violation error!. After lots of time spending on a try & error method for discovering the source of this crash, I realized this behavior. You're better spend your time and your software team to give normal releases to people not wasting their time with your useless comments. I have spent more than a week on this issue. I don't know where I have to complain?

0 Kudos

Hi Hossein@embedded

In the above posts Xilinx contributes were trying to understand the issue by filtering possible crash scenarios.

Request to test on other machines/OS:

This details will help to understand if this is an OS specific crash/machine specific. 

If the same issue appears on different machines too, then this is Vivado synthesis bug which needs to be debugged further in order to provide a work around.

Try in latest version:

This detail will help us understand whether this is already fixed or not? If fixed, can you migrate ELSE we will file a CR after getting a test case to provide a suitable work around and fix in future releases.

From the above description, I believe this is an issue with synthesis engine(if this is not a machine specific issue). To debug this issue further, can you please share a test case for us to reproduce the issue at our end?

I am sending you an EZmove link to share the test case. Please check your inbox for login details.

Meanwhile, please share the synthesis log file generated .runs/synth_1 folder.

Thanks,

Anusheel

Thanks
Anusheel
0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi @anusheel,

Thank you for your Comprehensive comments. I will try to create this issue with a light project - Because I can't upload the same project I am working according to our companies policies. and will upload it via the link you have already sent to me.

Thank you again,

Hossein

0 Kudos