cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Vivado 2016.1 regression can not call functions with parameters

As I do not have access to your bugtracker here is your bugreport: The attached code below gives the following error message with Vivado 2016.1, while it compiles fine under 2015.4.
[Synth 8-26] function call with parameters not implemented ["/home/ted/srcFPGA/test/mwe.srcs/sources_1/new/test.sv":35]
`timescale 1ns / 1ps
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Engineer: Malte Vesper
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

class channelInfoParser #(int unsigned CHANNELS = 4);
    static function int channelModeCount(logic [0:CHANNELS-1] channels);
    begin
        return channels[1];
    end
    endfunction

endclass

module test (
    output logic test
 );
    localparam int outputConst = channelInfoParser #(4)::channelModeCount(4'b1011);

assign test = outputConst;
endmodule
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Vivado 2016.1 regression can not call functions with parameters

Wow! That actually WORKED in 2015.4?  Not just passed the syntax check but synthesized to the correct logic, and everything?

Wow, that's a useful tool.  I remember some industry folks pushing for this feature in order to support "parameterizable functions".  But I didn't think I'd see support out of any synthesis tools for a while.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The technique is described here :http://forums.accellera.org/topic/1177-how-to-pass-variable-sized-packed-arguments-to-a-taskfunction/

The hardware I synthesized with this seems to be working correctly for me.

Also, I find the warning message very obscure.

When I synthesized the calls was actually part of a package in another file, but that should not make a difference, this is a stripped down MWE, for which I just checked the synthesis steps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Oh, I familiar with the technique quite well.  What has me gobsmacked is that any part of it is synthesizable.  In theory it should be, but I'm quite astonished that Vivado synthesis would support it.  I'd assume the synthesizer would see the word "class" and do a full stop.

I'm actually quite happy that you've shown it (at least MAY, in 2015.2) have worked. 

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Another method to get parameterizable functions is to bury the functions within a parameterized interface.

Every time I've needed it, it's been associated with an interface I'm already using.  But that isn't a requirement.  I don't think there's anything stoping you from creating a "dummy" interface just to get the parameterized function:

interface #( parameter CHANNELS = 4) foo_if;
  bit dummy;  // May(?) be neccesary to have one actual port?

function int channelModeCount( input logic [ 0 : CHANNELS - 1 ] channels );
    return( channels[ 1 ] );
  endfunction

endinterface

module test( output logic test );
foo_if #( 4 ) foo_if4();

always_comb
  test = foo_if4.channelModeCount( 4'b1011 );

endmodule

Not syntax checked, you get the idea.  The interface never needs to be used on a portlist (i.e. its "intended" use case).

Regards,

Mark

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I might give the interface method a try, if the promised imrpovements of retiming/time sharing yield largly better results i might go with that, although I need the functions in many modules which don't have a common interface. While a dummy interface might do the trick, it is an (ugly) hack to get arround tool limitations.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Bump. Regression carried forward to Vivado 2016.2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

For the record I don't this every truly worked.  I found that while earlier version of VIvado didn't choke on the syntax they silently ignored the call site parameters and used the default parameters instead.

XIlinx has since 'fixed' that bug by throwing an error instead of properly supporting static virtual functions.  It's a shame since this feature would be immensely useful to me.  I'm currently working around it with some serious pre-processor abuse and it's still limited in what it can achieve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Regarding the parameterized interface trick.  It's a good one and I'm trying to adopt it.  Did you ever try to push that through Vivado?  I get a 'Synth 8-660' error where it's unable to see the function call through the hierarchy.  DC and Incisive accept it just fine of course....  Doesn't work on 2016.2 at least.  Not sure if a later version corrected this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Yes, we're using the "parameterized function" within interfaces trick.  I've used from at least Vivado 2016.1. As I indicated, I'm not using "dummy" interfaces, rather reals ones.  But the functions within are just that - parameterized functions where the parameters are fixed at the interface instantiation.

Not sure what trouble you're having, can you post some examples? 

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Looks like I've managed to stumble over a bug with interfaces that isn't related to parameters at all.

interface test_intf;               

generate
   if (1) begin : bar                                                                                  
      function id1(input [3:0] a);                                                                     
         return a;                                                                                     
      endfunction 
   end else begin : bar
      function id1(input [3:0] a);                                                                     
         return ~a;                                                                                    
      endfunction 
   end
   /*    
   begin : bar
      function [3:0] id1(input [3:0] a);                                                               
         return ~a;                                                                                    
      endfunction                                                                                      
   end
   */
endgenerate                                                                                            

function id(input [3:0] a);                                                                            
   return bar.id1(a);                                                                                  
endfunction                                                                                            

endinterface                                                                                           

module test (
   input wire [3:0] a,
   output reg [3:0] b
);

test_intf foo();

always_comb begin
   b = foo.id(a);
end

endmodule

This code fails with

ERROR: [Synth 8-660] unable to resolve 'id1' [/home/bmagnuson/tmp/test_intf_no_param.sv:23]

But if I replace the  if/else with the commented bare begin with the same name everything is happy.  Additionally the same style of code without an interface involved also works fine.

module test (
   input a,
   output y
);

generate
   if (1) begin : bar
      function id1(input a);
         return a;
      endfunction 
   end else begin : bar
      function id1(input a);
         return !a;
      endfunction
   end
endgenerate

function id(input a);
   return bar.id1(a);
endfunction

assign y = id(a);

endmodule

So this appears to be a bug with hierarchical paths when using an if/else style generate inside of an interface.  Fun.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Ahh - I've never tried using generates within the interfaces.  I take that back - I have, but not within the synthesizable portion of the interface.  So, I'm unsure on Vivado support there.

You've got a typo correct - in that both generate clauses are named "bar" (plus a third commented out "bar").  I'm guessing this is just a cut/paste error when you entered it here?

And conditional function definitions within a generate clause.  That's new to me as well.  I've not tried that either.

--Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Actually not a typo! IEEE 1800-2012 (and earlier) Section 27.5 explicitly shows that in an if/else if/else if/else chain within a generate you can name all the blocks with the same identifier since it's guaranteed that only one of them will exist.  That way you don't need to know which branch of the conditional was taken to predict the hierarchical path.

Of course, being technically correct (the best kind of correct) doesn't help me here.  Have to get an SR filed for this I suppose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Ahh - thanks for that info on the SystemVerilog Spec.  Didn't know that about the generate if/else and names. Learned something new today.

Makes sense, and I agree your example is legal syntax.  As you say, however, doesn't really help you that its correct, if the tool doesn't accept it...

Good luck with the SR.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos