UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2017.1 register retiming usage

Visitor

Vivado 2017.1 register retiming usage

I am trying to use the retiming feature in Vivado (2017.1) to retime a divide operation. The target board is the Zynq ZC706.

The Verilog looks like this:

module AccelTop( ...);

reg[31:0] sr1, sr2, sr3, sr4, sr5, sr6, sr7, sr8, sr9, retimed_out;

assign num1 = $signed(input1);   // 32-bit input from memory-mapped register file
  assign num2 = $signed(input2);  // 32-bit input from memory-mapped register file
  assign out = $signed(num1) / $signed(num2);

always @(posedge clk) begin

sr1 <= out;
    sr2 <= sr1;
    sr3 <= sr2;
    sr4 <= sr3;
    sr5 <= sr4;
    sr6 <= sr5;
    sr7 <= sr6;
    sr8 <= sr7;
    sr9 <= sr8;
    retimed_out <= sr9;

end

endmodule

This logic is inside a module that is instantiated within the Top module of the design. I am using the TCL scripts in Vivado project mode to synthesize and implement this design, with a target clock frequency of 50 MHz. I'm observing two things:

1. I fail to meet timing whether or not retiming is enabled, with EXACTLY the same negative slack (-25.97ns).

2. The synthesis report shows that the above shift register is being implemented using SRL* primitives, indicating that it was not used for retiming.

3. In the synthesis report, the module above (AccelTop) does not seem to be considered for retiming. Specifically, I see the following lines:

INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_axi_mem_intercon_0`
No candidate paths found in current hierarchy level
Skipping retiming for this module
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_axi_mem_intercon_0' done
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_ps7_0_axi_periph_0`
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_ps7_0_axi_periph_0' done
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1`
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1' done
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_wrapper` No candidate paths found in current hierarchy level
INFO: [Synth 8-5816] Retiming module `design_1_wrapper' done

I have attached the reproducing test case along with the TCL build scripts and Makefile. The relevant Verilog is in 'AccelTop.v'.

To reproduce, simply type 'make'. 

I have already seen other posts on this issue, and they have not been helpful. I would appreciate any help / guidance from Xilinx and other forum members on the usage of retiming here. 

Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Vivado 2017.1 register retiming usage

@raghup17 retiming happens later than register storage inference probably. Did you try to for register type to the srX registers? or disallow SRL on them? Try https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/53956.html

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.