UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer richw42a
Observer

Vivado 2018.2 FSM Problem

I'm having trouble with an FSM (finite state machine) that seems to behave contrary to my code. The symptoms keep changing when, for example, I put a (* KEEP = "TRUE" *) on my state variable, or delete it. Below is what I believe is a clear evidence of misbehavior. Starting from state 0 (st_idle), when the go condition becomes true, we transition to state 1 (st_1). The signal crc7_clear goes true as one would expect, but the signal crc7_go also goes true, which should not happen until exiting from state 1. crc7_go seems to occur one clock early. This makes it difficult to calculate the correct crc :)

Note in the code evidence of a previous battle with the synthesizer. The shift signal was changing on exit from st_1, so I added a redundant setting for shift.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. 

Capture.PNG

case (state)
		st_idle:
		begin
		    if (go)
		    begin
			active <= 1;
			serror <= 0;
			clock_go <= 1;
			if (my_task == task_cmd ||
			    my_task == task_cmd_reg ||
			    my_task == task_cmd_long_reg ||
			    my_task == task_write ||
			    my_task == task_read ||
			    my_task == task_cmd_reg_data)
			begin
			    state <= st_1;
			    drive_cmd <= 1;
			    cnt_bits <= 9'd7;	// Send 8 bits
			    sd_cmd_out <= 1;
			    // Start and transmit bits followed by command index
			    shift <= { 2'b01, sd_cmd_index, 24'h0 };
			    crc7_clear <= 1;
			end
			else if (my_task == task_write_m)
			begin
end else if (my_task == task_read_m) begin
... end end end st_1: // Getting ready to output cmd if (clock_fall_in_2) begin // Sync to sd clock state <= st_2; // Kludge since the synthesizer seemed to make a mistake shift <= { 2'b01, sd_cmd_index, 24'h0 }; crc7_go <= 1; // Calculate CRC before shift[31] gets corrupted end

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Vivado 2018.2 FSM Problem

Hi @richw42a,

Can you provide the RTL source file to evaluate it or end?

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Observer richw42a
Observer

Is the code for that one module enough to evaluate? Or do you need the entire design?

0 Kudos

Hi @richw42a,

You can provide a testcase (archived project) using which i can see the functionality as you stated in post synthesis functional simulation. 

I have sent you ezmove ftp , where you can provide the files. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Observer richw42a
Observer

The failures occurred with real hardware. I will need to reproduce the problem with simulation, and then I'll send it along.

0 Kudos

Hi @richw42a,

Sure, i will recommend you to check behavioral simulation and post-synthesis functional simulation and let us know if you see any functionality difference as per your expectations. - This is the recommended way to check the functionality of your code is correct or not before dumping it on to the board. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos

Hi @richw42a,

Any updates you would like to share on this issue?

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Observer richw42a
Observer

What between working remotely, silly mistakes, Vivado crashing, the  analyzer not cooperating, Comcast dropping out, and other impediments, I think we are at the point of maximum confusion. If things ever start making sense again, and we again see FSM misbehavior, I'll be back.

0 Kudos

Hi @richw42a,

Do you have any updates to share on this thread? 

If no, you may close it temporarily by marking it as accepted solution. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Observer richw42a
Observer

I think the problem was creating an ila debug session using the Vivado "Set Up Debug" GUI. Apparently the synthesizer sees a state machine and does aggressive optimizations without changing the names of the signals. Thus, when I'm trying to debug my FSM, nothing makes sense, even though the FSM is doing exactly what I asked it to do, as far as normally externally visible signals are concerned.

The solution was to use the ILA Debug IP to create the debug session. Now the synthesizer sees a signal going into an already synthesized box, and is forced to keep the same visible behavior on any signals connected to the ILA.

Perhaps an equivalent solution would be to mark all signals involved in debug with KEEP attributes, and use the Vivado "Set Up Debug" GUI.

Perhaps there is a Fine Manual somewhere that explains all this :)

0 Kudos

Hi @richw42a,

Yes, you can also try to apply don't touch attribute on the debug signals. 

To know more on these attributes, FSM inferrence - you may check UG 901 https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Chapter 2 & 4.

Regards,

hemangd

If your issue has been resolved, then you may close thread by marking it as accepted solution. 

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos