UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor brendar-li
Visitor

Vivado 2018.3 Synthesis on AMD CPUs

I just installed the latest version of Vivado, 2018.3, on my computer. When I follow this tutorial and try to synthesize it, it seems to take forever and never completes. Before 2018.3, I had 2018.2 installed and when I try to synthesize it, It will say "Running synth_design" for about 5 min before failing and saying "synth design failed" with out any reason given. I've tried running it with different amount of jobs, from 1-12.

However, this all works on my laptop which has 2018.2 installed. The only thing that I think can be causing this is the different CPUs. My desktop is running an AMD Ryzen 2600x, while my Laptop is running an Intel i7 6700HQ. Could this be the issue? Any suggestions on getting synthesis to run on my desktop?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Vivado 2018.3 Synthesis on AMD CPUs

Complete removal of vivado and re boot before installing new vivado seems to be the order of the day !
0 Kudos
Visitor brendar-li
Visitor

I ran the uninstaller, deleted the remaining Xilinx folder and restarted my computer. Reinstalled 2018.3 and it still has the same issue. Looking at task manager, it doesn't seem like Vivado is using any CPU resources.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

sorry,
dont suppose you have any other vivados on there, you need to uninstall all vivaods,
Have a gander at the forums you will see its worked for others with similar problems, but it is a long shot

0 Kudos
Visitor brendar-li
Visitor

Nope, that's the only version I've had installed. When I uninstalled it, I deleted C:/Xilinx.

0 Kudos

Hi @brendar-li,

Can you post your project directory path here?  (For Vivado 2018.3)

Make sure there are no spaces in between letters of your project directory path.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and accept it as solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Visitor brendar-li
Visitor

There are no spaces in the path: D:\Users\Brendan\Documents\Embedded\extracredit\pwm_verilog\pwm_verilog.xpr

0 Kudos

@brendar-li

I can see that example project targets 2015.x version of Vivado. Can you please share your .bd or block design .tcl file for us to reproduce the issue(if there are no custom IPs)?

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos