UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado IP Catalog Cores are Black Boxes during synthesis

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm noticing that during synthesis with Vivado that the cores that I generated with the Vivado IP Catalog are all treated as black boxes and I'm not getting any kind of read on the amount of Block Ram that I'm using after the Synthesis is over. 

I'm wondering if and why Vivado has to treat its own cores as black boxes? 

Is there some way to get  the Vivado Synthesizer to include the cores in the Synthesis process so I can get a better read on resourse utilization? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Vivado IP Catalog Cores are Black Boxes during synthesis

Jump to solution

The web case engineer got back to me with the precise answer to my problem so I'll mark this as "solved".  Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

In Vivado We have out of context synthesis enabled for ip's by default. Hence top level synthesis treats ip's as black boxes. The netlists for ip's are read in during implmenetation.

To get the correct utilization after synthesis open the synthesized design and run report_utilization command from tcl console to get the correct utilization numbers.

Opening the synthesized design loads in the ip checkpoints as well in to the memory and hence the utilization reported will be correct.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

You can disable the OOC as shown in the below snapshot for the IP's used in your design so that Vivado Synthesizer will include these cores in the Synthesis process  not treat them as Black boxes.

IP_OOC_disable.png

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Refer below link (page no. 14) for more information on global synthesis:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_4/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
Anusheel
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Satish,

Your answer looks like the closest to the solution but I'm not understanding what exactly to do.  I'm aware of both the "Generate Output Products" and the "Out of Context Settings" Dialogs but I'm not clear about exactly what to do with them to disable the OOC.  I think making the OOC default was a dumb design decision and would like to have the default be the "Generalized Synthesis" I read about these in the "Designing with IP" Users Manual.  The manual blabbered on and on about what these two synthesis modes mean but I didn't see any nuts and bolts procedure on how to select or disable either (classic Xilinx). 

So, exactly how do I disable the OOC through these two dialogs?

Thanks.

Roger

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello Anusheel,

I read parts of that user guide.  It rambled on about what OOC and Generalized Synthesis are but nowhere near as I can tell did it say exactly how to select one or the other.

Thanks.

Roger

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The web case engineer got back to me with the precise answer to my problem so I'll mark this as "solved".  Thanks.

0 Kudos