cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthiasl
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado Text Editor freezes when editing large files (due to Syntax Checking?)

Hello,

I am using VIvado 2020.2 on WIndows 10 professional and am experiencing serious lags and freezes in the text editor when editing VHDL files. My impression is that this especially the case in large files (I have some that are 3000 - 5000 lines long and yes, I broke them down into many submodules already). I currently use "Vivado" syntax checking and have "display warnings" and "display notes" enabled. Whenever I edit some text, it happens almost every time that Vivado freezes and I have to wait 10-20 seconds until I can enter new text. Then after freezing, it shows 100+ errors below the text I just entered. I can sometimes edit 2-3 more things blindly which are then displayed after the freeze but that's not quite practical and doesn't work that well.

Is there some way to speed up editing without using an external editor (like Notepad++, which is what I do at the moment for these large files) and without disabling syntax checking completely (which I find extremely helpful and well implemented in general)?
In a new release, it would probably help to outsource the syntax checking into a background thread that is executed with low priority and is immediately interrupted whenever new text is entered plus it starts some 5-15 seconds after the last keystroke.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Matthias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

Well, the solution you seek is so specific I cannot help you:  "Speed up ... without using ...without disabling" which is not to say your sought solution doesn't exist.  One thing I would look at is if your IT department installed any malware (while pretending it was anti-malware). 

I use sublime as an external text editor.  Originally it was because I liked the dark backgrounded theme, and was sick of configuring every version of Vivado I have to maintain.  But it is a pretty good text editor with lots of useful features and add ons for VHDL, Tcl, bash, bitbake, make.   I evaluated Sigasi several years ago but the price was out of approval range, so I found Sublime Text.  The Vivado text editor is getting a lot better, other than the default light background which is in my opinion not the best for people who have to work hours in front of a monitor.  But first thing I do when I launch a new version of Vivado is configure an external editor.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***
0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

I use notepad++ as a lightwight IDE.

It has an addon called nppexec that gives you a console within notepad++ so you can run command line syntax check using vivado or whatever simulator you're using. Colours can be added based oon text string formatting too (to highlight errors in red, for example).

I generally keep out of the vivado gui as much as possible.

IMO, 3000-5000 lines is far too big for design files. I get uncomfortable when a synthesisable entity is > 1000 lines. (I have a couple of testbench utility packages that are 2500-5000 lines, but that is the exceptioon).

matthiasl
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

Thanks for your recommendations. I guess I have to live without syntax checking and/or with another editor.
I would be glad if the Vivado Team puts text editor / syntax checking performance issues / freezes / lags onto their agenda for some of the next releases.

Best regards,
Matthias

0 Kudos