UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor vadix
Visitor

Vivado crashes on Arch Linux when performing synthesis

I have formerly installed Vivado on Arch Linux and it worked fine, but I seem to be getting a random crash when attempting to run synthesis.

I am using a Nexys 4 FPGA with Vivado and this is the backtrace it spit out: https://gist.github.com/vadixidav/ba6ce950ed3e28e5ad4689096c0bc62a

The synthesis otherwise completes successfully, but I get nothing out of it since it crashes at the very end. I just see this error message: http://i.imgur.com/St06LI0.png

I am using some SystemVerilog features, so it would be an annoyance to switch to ISE to make this work. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

16 Replies
Visitor vadix
Visitor

Re: Vivado crashes on Arch Linux when performing synthesis

It also does not produce any errors or warnings. Here is the log of the synthesis: https://gist.github.com/vadixidav/7ec9a3509ec135ffa9b9d097f3c7da20

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @vadix

ArchLinux is not officially supported by Vivado. Did you  pre install ncurses5 libs before installing vivado?

Ref: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xilinx_Vivado

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor vadix
Visitor

I do have ncurses5, but it might be some other issue revolving around the lack of support for Arch Linux. I know for certain that 2015.02 does work, so I have decided to install that as well. If anyone has a fix for the newest version, that would be appreciated. Some others have gotten similar crashes, but from what I have seen they were all separate issues and likely don't relate to my situation. If I find a solution I'll post it here.

0 Kudos
Visitor vadix
Visitor

Seems like it fails with the 2015.4 version as well. I wonder why this is? Again, it crashes, only on a simple synthesis test. The 2015.04 version doesn't even seem to give any backtrace. I also installed the 32-bit ncurses5 in case that mattered, but it didn't. I wonder why this happens? This used to work fine, so I imagine it is some system incompatibility.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start Part Resource Summary
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parent process (pid 7876) has died. This helper process will now exit
0 Kudos
Visitor vadix
Visitor

I have decided I will attempt to run this on a supported OS in a VM. In the meantime, it seems I was having this issue, which although it is marked as solved is actually not resolved and also happened on Windows: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Synthesis-failed-without-reporting-any-error/td-p/686000

0 Kudos
Visitor vadix
Visitor

So I installed Lubuntu in a VM using Gnome Boxes and sure enough it worked. If anyone figures out how to stop the crashing on Arch, it would be appreciated if the solution could be put here.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI , Vivado is not tested in Arch linux as we do not support it. So we cannot send the crash logs to development to lookinto it.
May I know why you cannot go with any of the supported OS like Redhat , CentOS, Suse, Ubuntu?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor vadix
Visitor

I am a student and I run Arch Linux as my primary OS. Considering the multitude of packages in the AUR which I rely on daily (including packages for the tools I develop with), I am stuck using it, and I like it anyways. It is quite inconvenient but for now it is a short term solution to run Lubuntu in a VM, which is working. I am sure some ABI broke on Arch Linux that makes it incompatible and I hope somebody figures out how to make it work there, but in the meantime I will simply run a VM and deal with it.

0 Kudos
Newbie grofark

There is a bug in vivado synthesis that causes a double unlock of a pthread mutex, which is illegal. It used to work fine by accident though. Until intel TSX came along and glibc started supporting it (so it is only reproducible on recent intel CPUs). Work around on arch is to recompile the glibc package with --disable-lock-elision instead of --enable-lock-elision.

Visitor jaoswald
Visitor

Running in a VM seems to hide the crashing bug, probably because of some limitations in how the offending Intel TSX instructions are virtualized.

0 Kudos

Regarding "bug in Vivado synthesis that causes a double unlock of a pthread mutex".

Since Ubuntu is heavily based on Debian and re-builds packages from Debian, it's a matter of time, till that bug gets exposed in Ubuntu as well.

I get crash with exact same problem on Debian. Likely any modern distribution are affected as it will enable that type of locking for performance gains.

Supported Ubuntu Linux 14.04.4 LTS (April 17, 2014) is very old now, I would be surprised if Vivado works on Ubuntu 16.04 with that bug ignored.

0 Kudos
Visitor adanilov
Visitor

Good day.

I faced the same problem with Vivado running on 64-bit openSuse 42.2 Leap. But luckily I found that folder /lib64 already contained noelision folder with libpthread library inside. I simply copied this file together with a symbolic link to <Xilinx>/lib/lnx<Architecture>.o/ folder (in my case it is  /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.2/lib/lnx64.o) and it fixed the problem. So easy!

Hope it will save your time.

0 Kudos
Visitor yangli2
Visitor

I came out this error when I used vivado on ubuntun 16.04. There is no error but synthesis failed.

I am a fresher in Linux. Could you please describe how to recompile glibc in detail? which command I should use to recompile glibc?List all the steps is better. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Newbie altenburger

@vadix wrote:

I have decided I will attempt to run this on a supported OS in a VM. In the meantime, it seems I was having this issue, which although it is marked as solved is actually not resolved and also happened on Windows: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Synthesis-failed-without-reporting-any-essayagency/td-p/686000

Hello,

That's true. I haven't found the solution yet, even though I tried everything I could find. On both Windows and Ubuntu 18.04

Any solution? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@vadix 

Vivado may crash on any machine, any OS and doing any operation. Actually, any software does that.

If the crash is repeatable, I'd suggest rebuilding the project, just taking the source files. 

0 Kudos

Hi @altenburger , 

You are replying on an older post. 

Kindly create a new thread with your detailed query so community can help you better. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos