UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor chrbirks
Visitor

Vivado synthesis engine

Jump to solution

Hi

I have been searching for information about which algorithms and methods Vivado uses for synthesis (and routing) but I have found nothing else than a forum post mentioning that it's based on Berkeley's ABC system. I imagine that the routing algorithm is closed source as it might reveal too much about the bitstream format but is there any information available about how it does synthesis?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Re: Vivado synthesis engine

Jump to solution

Hi @chrbirks ,

There are bits and pieces of publicly available information (forums and datasheets) that mention Verific Verilog synthesis engine [link] being used by Vivado.

As far as Vivado place&route engine, there isn't much information either. There is a short product brief [link] that discusses Analytical P&R technology, which superseeds gradient and successive over-relaxation approach in earlier ISE.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
2 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi @chrbirks ,

There are bits and pieces of publicly available information (forums and datasheets) that mention Verific Verilog synthesis engine [link] being used by Vivado.

As far as Vivado place&route engine, there isn't much information either. There is a short product brief [link] that discusses Analytical P&R technology, which superseeds gradient and successive over-relaxation approach in earlier ISE.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
Visitor chrbirks
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @evgenis1 

Thank you for the info.

For anyone interested, I was able to dig a little more into their Analytical Place and Route algorithm but was only able to find this old white paper WP416 which describes roughly the same as evgenis1's link. But I did find a PDF from Western University in Ontario describing FPGA placement/routing in general and both simulated annealing and analytic placement.

0 Kudos