UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

What is the proper way to get SV Interfaces compiled into the design in Vivado?

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm new to Vivado and having some trouble with compilation.

I've created three .sv files as design sources, each one defining a system verilog interface. Each interface is a connection between DUT and testbench. In the Source window, under the libraries tab, they are all  labeled as "unreferenced".

Untitled.jpg

Two of them are compiled in, while the third is not. I've made sure no syntax errors. Why would this happen, and what is the proper way to get these interfaces compiled in?

Update: I tried to set manual compile order and now compilation hangs. I tried to remove my interface file from the project and return to automatic compile order and still it hangs. Now I'm stuck with a project that won't even start the compile process. I'll try to make a new project to see if it gets around this. This is pretty frustrating :/

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What is the proper way to get SV Interfaces compiled into the design in Vivado?

Jump to solution

Ok well after struggling with the tool for a couple more hours I finally solved my own problems. I'll just summarize here in case others hit my issues

1) Instantiations of interfaces should have a () postfix (i.e. my_intf my_intf_h();). The compiler will evidently not think that is a problem, but it will then tell you it isn't an interface even though it is defined as one. Wish the error message could be clearer.

2) As far as the compiler hanging, I solved it by digging into my project files and deleting the cache and sim folders. That apparently unstuck the compiler.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What is the proper way to get SV Interfaces compiled into the design in Vivado?

Jump to solution

Ok well after struggling with the tool for a couple more hours I finally solved my own problems. I'll just summarize here in case others hit my issues

1) Instantiations of interfaces should have a () postfix (i.e. my_intf my_intf_h();). The compiler will evidently not think that is a problem, but it will then tell you it isn't an interface even though it is defined as one. Wish the error message could be clearer.

2) As far as the compiler hanging, I solved it by digging into my project files and deleting the cache and sim folders. That apparently unstuck the compiler.

View solution in original post