UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kaza.
Visitor

When using "don't care" value Vivado doesn't recognize FSM.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've got problem with FSM extraction of Mealy FSM (Vivado (2019.1)). When I use don't care value ("-") it doesn't infer the FSM. However, when I check possible value combinations, it recognizes FSM properly. Has anyone encountered such problem?

Below are two code examples (in attachment full code):

Example 1 (using don't care - FSM not recognized):

when st0 =>
                if (x = "-0") then
                   y <= b"0";
                    next_state <= st0;
                elsif (...)

Example 2 (without don't care - FSM properly recognized):

when st0 =>
                if (x = "00") or (x = "10") then
                   y <= b"0";
                    next_state <= st0;
               elsif (...)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: When using "don't care" value Vivado doesn't recognize FSM.

Jump to solution

This is likely because (x="-0") in VHDL is not as useful as you think it is. If you were to simulate this code, and x = "10", it wouldnt match, because the code is looking for an explicit dont care state '-' on x, and it is '1', so it doesnt match.

To get around this in VHDL 1993, there is a non-standard library called std_logic_misc that adds a std_match function. So you can write this to function as you expect (and should synthesise in vivado, and work in simulation:

if std_match(x, "-0") then

Otherwise, in VHDL2008, you can use matching equality operators.

if x ?= "-0" then

Vivado 2017.4 had a problem with these in inline code, hopefully its fixed in 2019.1

3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

This is likely because (x="-0") in VHDL is not as useful as you think it is. If you were to simulate this code, and x = "10", it wouldnt match, because the code is looking for an explicit dont care state '-' on x, and it is '1', so it doesnt match.

To get around this in VHDL 1993, there is a non-standard library called std_logic_misc that adds a std_match function. So you can write this to function as you expect (and should synthesise in vivado, and work in simulation:

Otherwise, in VHDL2008, you can use matching equality operators.

if x ?= "-0" then

Vivado 2017.4 had a problem with these in inline code, hopefully its fixed in 2019.1

Visitor kaza.
Visitor

Jump to solution

@richardhead 

Thank you! This worked for me:

if (x ?= "-0") then (...)

The FSM is proprely recognized.

@richardhead wrote:

Don't know what was your problem, but I had to change the source type to VHDL2008 in file properties, because there was a syntax error. I thought Vivado has been using VHDL2008 by default since version 2014.

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

Vivado has had poor 2008 support until 2018, and 2019.1 looks better.

What didnt work was the std_logic version where a std_logic was returned instead of a boolean. It would synthesise but would synthesise to 0 (when it should have been a compare):

signal x_eq_zero : std_logic;

x_eq_zero <= (x ?= 0);
0 Kudos