Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

XST Synthesis Error

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm getting a strange error during synthesis using XST:

ERROR:Xst:2862 - Unit <project_main> : The conversion of memory element <Abo_1> to macro RAM failed, because a memory port is unknown. Please review the Xilinx resources documentation and the XST user manual for coding guidelines or check the warning messages in the log file about this memory element.

I do have a variable named Abo, but the log file has no warning messages about this memory element, it only has unrelated warnings. I searched for someone having a similar problem and absolutely nothing came up. Does anyone know what this problem pertains to?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Aaaaaaaaaaand for some strange reason, after making other seemingly unrelated changes to my code, this problem has gone away. Strange stuff...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
s,

What is the variable Abo: a single bit, a 32 bit word, a matrix?

The synthesis tool is complaining that it can't map the variable to a memory that it knows about (in the FPGA). Something about this variable is problematic.
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The variable is defined as follows:

type Abo_x is array(1 downto 0, 3 downto 0) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);

signal Abo : Abo_x := ((others => (others => X"00000000")));

I have many other variables in my project that are defined and used in the same way, but it does not complain about those (yet).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I think I found what the problem is. I'm using the variable for this function:

for i1 in 0 to 1 loop

for j1 in 0 to 3 loop

if (Aboresult(i1,j1) = B"1") then

Abo(i1,j1) <= X"3F800000";

else

Abo(i1,j1) <= X"00000000";

end if;

end loop;

end loop;

When I comment out the second half of the if-statement (e.g, the lines containing else and Abo(i1,j1) <= X"00000000"), the problem goes away. What is going on? Why doesn't it like this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Aaaaaaaaaaand for some strange reason, after making other seemingly unrelated changes to my code, this problem has gone away. Strange stuff...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

@scanframer wrote:

ISE has a habit of holding on to old bits of pre-compiled stuff unless you "clean-up project files."  Perhaps

you were being bitten by that bug.  Just as an aside, though...  The "memory" you described could not

actually be implemented as RAM because (especially with the "else" clause in your loop) it could have

all of its elements written in a single clock cycle.  That should not prevent synthesis from creating the

matrix from slice flip-flops, however.  It's possible that some lingering bits of pre-compiled stuff had already

made a decision to use RAM for the structure, causing the error.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi I think I have a similar problem.  During synthesis I receive the following error message:

EXCEPTION:Xdm:Signal.c:191:$Id: Signal.c,v 1.19 2009/06/12 19:55:29 jdl Exp $ - Xdm_Exception::IllegalPinSignal signal '/outputBuffer/SOURCE/outputBuffer/_n14978<32>' is not a peer or child of pin '/XSTMACRO_RAM_50/SOURCE/XSTMACRO_RAM_50/diA<15>'

I've narrowed it down to the following lines in my code causing this error:

STATE 1:

for (j=0; j < 10; j=j+1)

begin

idx1 = Table1[Counter][j];

idx2 = Table2[idx1];                                     

Data[j] = !(Arr1[idx1] && Arr2[idx2]);

end

STATE 2:

for (j=0; j < 10; j=j+1)

begin

idx1 = Table1[Counter][j];

idx2 = Table2[idx1];                                     

Data[j] = (Arr1[idx1] && Arr2[idx2]);

end

If i comment out the line in bold, the error goes away.   Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

DL

0 Kudos