UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

defining a input signal as a clock signal

Scholar

defining a input signal as a clock signal

I have a signal that is created from the XORing of two signals,  Data Strobe decoding for the clock.  Then I take that signal

and run it into a BUFG.   This signal is fed into a Hierachical Block where the input name of the block is different than

the clock signal coming out of the BUFG. 

I am looking in the Constraints editor for the signal name so I can constain the clock period of the derived clock signal but I can not find it in the list of clocks in the constraint editor.   

Is there a attribute I can put in VHDL modules that will define the derived signal as a clock.

Thank You

Re: defining a input signal as a clock signal

g,

If the signal drives the clock pins of DFF in IOB or CLB, then it is a clock (it is implicit in what it gets wired to).

I would look in FPGA_Editor, and find the name of the clock net, as you will need a PERIOD constraint on this clock to allow the tools to know what to do about the timing.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

g,

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/ug612.pdf

page 35, 47 ...

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Thank You Austin,

I looked at the RTL Schematic and I can see the name of the signal there.  I will try to constrain the signal (clk)

and see if it works.  The title of the message should have said defining a internal signal as a clock signal.

Thank You,

Gary

Scholar

I tried using my net name in my case, GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK.

It could not find the signal eventhough I saw this name in the FPGA Editor.

So I tried using the Timing Analyzer and created a Report on Clock Regions  in the report it showed the following

CAM_IF_TP/CAM_INPUT_PATH1/CAM_ACCPT/mux_cam_clkf

CAM_IF_TP/CAM_INPUT_PATH1/GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK  

Now I tried to use these statements:

NET "CAM_IF_TP/CAM_INPUT_PATH1/GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK" TNM_NET = CAM_IF_TP/CAM_INPUT_PATH1/GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK;
TIMESPEC TS_GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK = PERIOD "GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK" 20 ns HIGH 50%;  

To me it looks like internally generated clocks use a more complicated name.  If I used just the 

name GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK it will not find the Net.

It is now appearing on the synthesis report as CAM_IF_TP/CAM_INPUT_PATH1/GLOBAL_CAM_DS_CLK

Thanks Again