Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

design too large to fit the device

Hi,

I was comparing implementation on virtex 6 (ml605) and zynq (zc702) of my hardware design composed of a customized IP and microblaze/ARM-9. The problem is that on the virtex 6 xps tells me that the design is too large to fit the device (RAM are overused 194% while 71% of slice LUT are used and only 1 % of DSP)

I was convinced that the programmable logic of the virtex 6 is bigger than the zynq so I am wondering if I missed something in my virtex design or if there is a way to intervene in order to map the design.

I would be very grateful if someone helps !

Best regards
Emna GHARBI
Engineering student
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

it's possible that some of your memory inferring logic is not recognized by the virtex 6 synthesizer. Which tools/versions are you using for the two implementations?
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

So one design (Virtex) has a Microblaze core, while the other design (Zynq) uses the Zynq's built-in ARM processor? It sounds like that's the explanation for the difference in resources. Is the Microblaze using a vast amount of block RAM for its own storage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Thanks for reply @muzaffer,
I am using EDK 14.6 for virtex and vivado 2014.2 for zynq
Best regards
Emna GHARBI
Engineering student
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

as @u4223374 says, check the number/size of BRAMs MB subsystem is using. You can get a hierarchical area report and see where the design resources are going. 

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I have just checked this point and the microblaze is using a very small amount of block ram and LuTs comparing to the IP which is the component using almost 90% of the ressources ! But I still don't get why on the zynq it uses only 46% of LUTs and 40% of ram !

Do you please have any idea ?
Best regards
Emna GHARBI
Engineering student
0 Kudos