UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

for loops, always blocks, synthesis, implementation, and you...

Jump to solution

Since you cannot put a for-loop or genvar loop within an always block (someone please let me know immediately if this is false),

I went ahead and created the Verilog module attached here. When I synthesize and run implementation it sometimes passes

and sometime fails implementation depending on code changes *not* within this module which is weird. It seems to pass synthesis always.

The issue is the variable "one_row". At times the implementation run will give me errors like the one pasted below. Anyone know the right way to do this?

[DRC MDRV-1] Multiple Driver Nets: Net core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/one_row[0] has multiple drivers: core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk1[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk9[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk10[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk4[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk8[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk5[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk7[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk2[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk11[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk3[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q, and core_/data_flow_wrapper/dataflow_i/panel_bits/inst/genblk6[0].one_row_reg[0]/Q.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: for loops, always blocks, synthesis, implementation, and you...

Jump to solution

(1) You can certainly have a for loop inside an always block.

(2) As above, you cannot write to a register (or anything else) from multiple always blocks.

(3) Changes elsewhere in the code may well result in Vivado optimizing away substantial portions of this module (eg. if you don't use the output, Vivado will just get rid of it). This can result in "problematic" parts (like registers that are written from multiple locations) being deleted, so they don't cause problems in implementation.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

A reg cannot be assigned a value in multiple always blocks. You're assigning the reg named one_row a value in many different always blocks.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@threedtramp

Thanks for posting your query on Synthesis board. Please do not dumplicate the queries:
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/for-loops-always-blocks-synthesis-implemenatation-and-you/m-p/935649/highlight/false#M29816

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

(1) You can certainly have a for loop inside an always block.

(2) As above, you cannot write to a register (or anything else) from multiple always blocks.

(3) Changes elsewhere in the code may well result in Vivado optimizing away substantial portions of this module (eg. if you don't use the output, Vivado will just get rid of it). This can result in "problematic" parts (like registers that are written from multiple locations) being deleted, so they don't cause problems in implementation.

0 Kudos