UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor heller390
Visitor

getting "U" in some outputs during simulation

Jump to solution

Hello I am new to Xilinx.Basically I am implementing a 1784 bit interleaver and deinterleaver using CCSDS algortihm.I want to check whether they are right.So i module instantiated both interleaver and deinterleaver files by writing a wrapper file and then gave some test input.Everything works fine except that I am getting 5 outputs as "UNINITIALIZED" out of 1784.I tried debugging but cant identify the problem.Please kindly help me solve the issue

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: getting "U" in some outputs during simulation

Jump to solution

HI @heller390

This can happen in  VHDLbehavioural simulations in genreral, if one of the drivers of the signal you are monitoring is unintialized. Please  initialize them to "Z" in your RTL.. (use  :=(others => 'Z'), if it is a bus ).

Is the post-synth simulation working fine?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

Are you doing behavioural simulation or post synthesis simulation? does your deisgn work in behavioural simulation?

-Shreyas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @heller390

This can happen in  VHDLbehavioural simulations in genreral, if one of the drivers of the signal you are monitoring is unintialized. Please  initialize them to "Z" in your RTL.. (use  :=(others => 'Z'), if it is a bus ).

Is the post-synth simulation working fine?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor heller390
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply guys.I am doing behavioural implemenatation after going through the process of checking behavioural syntax.syntax is fine.But i get some op as U.

0 Kudos
Visitor heller390
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the solution.The design is working fine after initiliazing as u said.Once again thanks for helping me .

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @heller390

Glad to know. this happens  in VHDL  behavioural simulation.if a signal has two drivers 'U' and '1'/'0'. The resultant output will 'U'. 
You will not find this problem in post-synth simulations. 
It is a good practice initialize driver signals to 'Z' instead of leaving them unintialized in VHDL.

Thanks
Bharath
0 Kudos
Visitor rubana
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have a few data lines in my program and for all the "inout" signal types i am getting uninitialised result? However, if i change these data lines to either output or input i am getting the result? Does isim not support "inout" port?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @rubana

Always create new thread for your query and for more visibility.

As explained in this post, this behaviour is typical VHDL behavioural simulation of inout signals , please initialize the inout signals to "Z" value as mentioned above and try.

Thanks
Bharath
0 Kudos
Observer abdelkader
Observer

Jump to solution

hI?

I am working on interleaver implementation, can you please mention a link of your project or a report about how to implement it?

Thank you

0 Kudos