cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdb98791
Adventurer
Adventurer

implementation of constant 'Z' for internal logic

I've inherited a messy ISE 10.3 Spartan 3 project that has some strange VHDL coding constructs. In one example, they're creating a std_logic signal and assigning a constant 'Z', but then using the signal in "if/then" type of logic statements comparing to the value of '1' and '0'. It's not being used as a top level bi-directional port, or even an internal bi-directional bus, but simply an internal signal that's always 'Z'.

What would this signal implement as inside the FPGA? a constant '1' or '0'?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
seamusbleu
Voyager
Voyager

If you can implement the design, open it up and look and see.  I would guess a '0'.  I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be able to find a synthesis and/or implementation message related to the signal.  If the signal is just used in an if statement, that's interesting.  A 'Z' doesn't equal a '1' or a '0', but hard to say for sure that's what would happen in synthesis.  Again, I'd search down the relevant signal in the open implementation's netlist, and hit F4 to open the schematic and you can see how it got implemented.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and accept as Solution if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

If it is as you suggest, then the logic will likely be simplified to whatever the else case is.Maybe it was an internal tri-state at some point. Are you sure the signal doesnt have multiple drivers?

If you post the code, maybe we could provide more insight?

0 Kudos