UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

loop iteration limit

Hi ,

While doing synthesis of my design im getting following error:::::

Xst:2636 - "f3.v" line 32: Loop has iterated 10000 times. Use "set -loop_iteration_limit XX" to iterate more. 

i have tried setting loop iteration limit using tcl console but no use....

I am using ISE 10.1.3 on debian(lenny)..

could any one please help me ......

regards

Krishna Kishore 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: loop iteration limit

hi sorry,

i got the solution ...

regards

Krishna Kishore 

0 Kudos
Newbie priyamp

pls tell the solution i am also facing the similar problem

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: pls tell the solution i am also facing the similar problem

add -loop_iteration_limit  XX    XX may be any number depends on ur loop count in the .xst file in ur project folder and compile it will work....
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

onkarkk1 wrote:
add -loop_iteration_limit  XX    XX may be any number depends on ur loop count in the .xst file in ur project folder and compile it will work....

I would worry about this error and changing this limit. It usually means something bad.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

As i have learnt , the tool has default limit of 64 for loop count ( any loop) , if it execeeds that then it will give this error, to over come this one has to set this attribute in .xst file.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

regards

Krishna Kishore

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

onkarkk1 wrote:

As i have learnt , the tool has default limit of 64 for loop count ( any loop) , if it execeeds that then it will give this error, to over come this one has to set this attribute in .xst file.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

regards

Krishna Kishore

I don't know what the actual limit is, but this is the sort of error you get when you synthesize a big combinatorial loop.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor shazni
Visitor

Hello onkarkk1

I also have the same problem now. You have post this thread in last year. You have said you solved it. I also understand that I need to add  set -loop_iteration_limit XX in .xst file in project folder. In my case XX should be 32768 iteartions. I did it so. But still the same issue. 

I need a bit descriptive answer from you. It's really urgent. It be very mush appreciable if you can explain me this in case I'm doing some silly mistake. Do I need to append just the above line in the .xst? What else I need to do?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

might be u r using gui for compilation , if that is the case as i remember it didnt work for me too , more over it will overwrite your settings. Actually i have used a script for compilation, i.e., xst manual there u will get for  every procees there will be a command based on that i have written a script and it worked for me..

regards

krish 

0 Kudos
Visitor shazni
Visitor

Thank you onkarkk1

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. I was on leave. Anyway I solved the issue in another way. In fact it's not a method. This error comes, because  'for loop exceeds the limit. I still didn't solve for 'for' loop. I omit the for loop, since I really don't want an initialization process as I'm not gonna use the initial values in my algorithms. For loops are mostly used in initialization rather than for the algorithm itself in Verilog.

0 Kudos
Newbie satya0428

Hi,

I have similar problem . But I dont have any loops (while or for) in the code , and still i m having this problem. Is there might be any other reason for this error, please let me know if any one about this. Also,I could not understand the procedure of increasing the loop limit using ise simulator , thanks for your reply.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I suggest you post your own questions in a new message. You can add the link to this thread in your message to let others know this is a similar issue as what you have.

You mentioned ISE Simulator. So did you meet this problem in ISE Simulator? If so, you should post your question on the "Simulation" board.

And please post the error message you met, and the HDL file in which the error occurred if possible. This will help others understand the problem and give you suggestions.

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Visitor shuklaankita
Visitor

hello sir 

I do have the same problem I am trying to pass a 3x3 filter over an image of size 240x160. Its obvious about the loop problem  I had used the given suggestions but it doesnot work out

Tags (1)
0 Kudos