cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

signal can't be synthesized

Hi everyone, I got some troubles with some signals that cannot be synthesized, does somebody have an idea?

Thanks in advance,

regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: signal can't be synthesized

I think the problem is in the while loop.  I don't think it is synthesizable.  This looks like a software construct.  What hardware could the synthesizer build to achieve this loop?

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@S_SUPAERO_FR,

MY recommended style is the 'one process' style (there are many online articles argumentation on the adv/disadv between 1 and 2 process styles. I don't want to debate on them again here).

Simply follow this document - https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Read Chapt 4, "FSM Components", and follow that coding style for correct synthesis results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi bruce_karaffa, thanks you for your response, I removed the while loops, but the error message still the same...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hello dpaul24, I'm just a beginner in HDL, shall I make only "one big process" part Output Function of my FSM?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

What I showed in the docu is Xilinx coding style for FSM inference. It is recommended to follow it.

Now to accept it or not is your choice!

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @S_SUPAERO_FR ,

As @bruce_karaffa mentioned issue could be with your loops, indeed those looks incorrect.

while (CLK_100Hz = '1') loop
end loop;

Issue is synthesis cant estimate after how many clock-cycles CLK_100Hz will be asserted, so how many delays has to be inserted, moreover those could be dynamic, hence tool cant infer logic for same.

Could you post your code post removal of loops. Do you still have some checking mechanism for CLK_100z = '1' ?

Thanks,

Ajay

0 Kudos