Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

suspicious results in black box stuctural

Hi

My project consists essentially of 3 components connected together structurally, from which I want to create a higher level component. Because the system was too large to synthesise on a 32 bit operating system, I have synthesised each of the components and used the NGC files in the main system, in place of the VHDL code (so using black boxes instead of re-synthesising any of this)

The project synthesises without any errors and the only warnings are "instantiating black boxmodule"

however, the results are very suspicious

call the three systems System A, B and C, and the overall structural system is System C

System A uses

7168 slice registers

21054 slice LUTs

System B uses

8960 slice registers

13602 slice LUTs

System C uses

18271 slice registers

5476 slice LUTs

and the overall system of these combined (System D) uses

18270 slice registers

5425 slice LUTs

so apparently by combining these components, the system now uses less resources, which doesnt really make any sense.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter or advice they can lend me please?

Much Thanks

Mark 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you looking at the logic utilization from the synthesis report or map report? I would double check the reports to make sure that all sub-blocks are connected correctly and NOT optimized away.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks Jimwu

Yes I am looking at the synthesis report and it is optimising. I have "optimise instantiated primitives" turned off. How do I stop the synthesiser from optimising this component, and just use as black box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If all the blackboxes are connected properly (i.e. all inputs to them are driven and all outputs are used by other blocks/logic). xst shouldn't optimize them away. The other thing you could try is to turn off the "Read Cores" option under "Synthesis Option" of XST properties window.

By the way, "optimise instantiated primitives" options is for FPGA primitives not user blackboxes.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos