Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

systemverilog coding style

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm new to verilog and I have a question, please see code below. I believe this code is perfectly fine.

always_ff @(posedge clk)
begin
   if (a) z <= 0;
   if (b) z <= 1;
end

However a college of mine claims that this problematic coding style which will lead to race conditions once synthesized. He claims the correct way for coding this is as such:

always_ff @(posedge clk)
begin
   if (b) z <= 1;
   else if (a) z <= 0;
end

I claim that both code snippets are exactly the same and make no difference in synthesis.

But since I'm new to verilog am not certain if this is true. Could somebody shed some light on this? Is the first coding style (without the else) correct. Or should this be avoided because of the danger of race conditions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Re: systemverilog coding style

Jump to solution

If statement should always be used with else part defined in RTL.

“If” statements without an “else” branch can lead to undesired latch inference.

One has to be careful with a statement like this - this is only true in a combinatorial process - an always_comb or an always @(*). In an always_ff or an always @(posedge clk) this result in a flip-flop with an enable, which is not only legal, but preferred when possible (since proper use of the chip-enable can reduce power).

So the two pieces of code will result in the same behavior, both in simulation and in synthesis. Both are legal.

If you want to see this, it is easy to elaborate both these pieces of code and see the generic technology result - it should be easy to see that they synthesize to the same logic.

Avrum

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dsula ,

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@rshekhaw 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Jump to solution

One has to be careful with a statement like this - this is only true in a combinatorial process - an always_comb or an always @(*). In an always_ff or an always @(posedge clk) this result in a flip-flop with an enable, which is not only legal, but preferred when possible (since proper use of the chip-enable can reduce power).

So the two pieces of code will result in the same behavior, both in simulation and in synthesis. Both are legal.

If you want to see this, it is easy to elaborate both these pieces of code and see the generic technology result - it should be easy to see that they synthesize to the same logic.

Avrum

View solution in original post