Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

vivado 2013.2 synthesis fails with segmentation fault, rdiArgs.sh

Jump to solution

I have the following setup:

Vivado 2013.2 running on linux RHEL 5.4 Tikanga

linux 2.6.18-164.el5   x86_64

Kintex7 design, currently not using much of the chip (K70)

Most of the time everything runs with no problems, but sometimes after changes have been made to the design I can no longer run synthesis. It fails in the Start Area Optimization phase with this message in the log window:

Xilinx/Vivado/2013.2/bin/rdiArgs.sh: line 123:  5555 Segmentation Fault       "$RDI_PROG" "$@"

I found references to the ARs below for similar problems reported by other users.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/51689.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44263.htm

My CPU appears to support sse2 per the flags shown from 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.

My default setting for LANG is C (which is supposed to be ok) but I also tried En_US.UTF-8 to no avail.

If I run Vivado 2013.2 from my Windows 7 machine (with same linux design directory mapped to a drive) I get the same failure.

The last time this happened I tried launching Vivado from a different directory and the problem disappeared. Now it has returned and I have not been able to fix it. Backing out of the design changes is not trivial because some of the source files are shared with another design. I am going to start removing modules from the top-level and will report any changes in behavior.

I have attached file runme.log from the runs/synth directory. Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: vivado 2013.2 synthesis fails with segmentation fault, rdiArgs.sh

Jump to solution

Hi,

I ran your design in vivado 2013.3 where it ran succesfully. Please upgrade to vivado 2013.3.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Update:

After removing some logic from the design it quit failing. This just additional information on the symptoms - not a workaround. Adding the logic back to the design causes it to fail again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you check this in Vivado 2013.3?

Can you share the test case for debug?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Try running synthesis by setting the flatten_hierarchy to none.

Thanks.

Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Per vuppala's suggestion, I ran with flatten_hierarchy = none (had been set to 'rebuilt') and it did not exhibit the problem. Synthesis and Implementation ran to completion with no errors.

UG901 (Vivado Synthesis) implies that optimizations are limited when using flatten_hierarchy = none so I would prefer not to use this as a long-term workaround.

I am attempting to install 2013.3 on my windows machine and will report the results for that version using the original synthesis settings. I will also look into whether I am allowed to post an archive of the failing design.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

For the question of sharing the entire design for debug, is it possible to use ftp or direct email to Xilinx when the requester is a Xilinx employee? The site tells me I am not eligible to file a Webcase and I would prefer not to make the design public.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can share the test case with Xilinx alone. I will send you an ezmove link to upload the files shortly.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

I ran your design in vivado 2013.3 where it ran succesfully. Please upgrade to vivado 2013.3.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you for testing it. While attempting to run the design in 2013.3 I made the mistake of allowing it to upgrade the IP. Since the PCIe IP changed quite a bit and I had done minor customization of the previous IP it will take me some time to get it all working again so I can check the failure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I was able to run the design in linux with 2013.3 and did not see the problem. I will mark the issue as resolved and hope that it does not pop up again as I make changes to the design.

Thank you for helping with this!

0 Kudos