type  state_type     is (amp_state, adc_state);
    type  amp_state_type is (amp_s1, amp_s2, amp_s3,amp_s4);
    type  adc_state_type is (adc_s1, adc_s2,adc_s3,adc_s4);
    -----------------------------------------------
    signal state: state_type:= amp_state;
    signal amp_state_reg    : amp_state_type := amp_s1;
    signal adc_state_reg    : adc_state_type := adc_s1;

best regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am tired of the traditions of peoples --
All I want is to live freely with the girl which I love --
But this is impossible because the traditions of the people stronger than me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: what this code mean

This is called enumerated type. If you are familiar with C/C++ the same thing can be accomplished by using enum and typdef constructs.

This code is declaring 3 types (state, amp and adc) which have specific values they can take. Then 3 signals of those types are declared. So the signal state can take values of amp_state and adc_state only. The synthesizer is free to assign any physical value to these signals. One may imagine state being a single bit variable with values 0 and 1 or two bits with value 01 and 10 or any other assignment. This is one nice thing about VHDL where enumerated types are built in to the language.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: what this code mean

Recommended: Read 3.1.1 of VHDL-LRM for enumeration type.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos