UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie arminius

which VHDL version should I learn?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I'm starting to work with the Xilinx ISE Foundation and learning VHDL. I have read that there are different versions defined by the year they came out and that suppliers are not necessarily using the newest version.

I wanted to ask you, what version of VHDL I should learn, and if someone has a recommendation of online tutorials or classes I could take...

thanks in advance

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: which VHDL version should I learn?

Jump to solution
Any version, maybe start at the beginning, You’ll end up using them all anyway, Wikipedia isn’t a bad starting point tutorial

Bobster
2 Replies

Jump to solution
Any version, maybe start at the beginning, You’ll end up using them all anyway, Wikipedia isn’t a bad starting point tutorial

Bobster
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Note also that there is a difference between VHDL constructs which are used for device modeling and testbenches and the subset of the language that is suitable for hardware synthesis. This is often a point of confusion among those new to the language (or other HDLs such as Verilog for that matter).

Assuming you are using XST for synthesis, I would also recommend reviewing the XST User Guide, which provides infomation on language support, suitable coding styles, etc.

http://toolbox.xilinx.com/docsan/xilinx10/books/docs/xst/xst.pdf (XST User Guide)

bt

0 Kudos