cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

which VHDL version should I learn?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I'm starting to work with the Xilinx ISE Foundation and learning VHDL. I have read that there are different versions defined by the year they came out and that suppliers are not necessarily using the newest version.

I wanted to ask you, what version of VHDL I should learn, and if someone has a recommendation of online tutorials or classes I could take...

thanks in advance

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: which VHDL version should I learn?

Jump to solution
Any version, maybe start at the beginning, You’ll end up using them all anyway, Wikipedia isn’t a bad starting point tutorial

Bobster

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Any version, maybe start at the beginning, You’ll end up using them all anyway, Wikipedia isn’t a bad starting point tutorial

Bobster

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Note also that there is a difference between VHDL constructs which are used for device modeling and testbenches and the subset of the language that is suitable for hardware synthesis. This is often a point of confusion among those new to the language (or other HDLs such as Verilog for that matter).

Assuming you are using XST for synthesis, I would also recommend reviewing the XST User Guide, which provides infomation on language support, suitable coding styles, etc.

http://toolbox.xilinx.com/docsan/xilinx10/books/docs/xst/xst.pdf (XST User Guide)

bt

0 Kudos