UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor cesarcf
Visitor

Add extra delay without IDELAY primitive

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to add a delay of ~4.5 ns to some differential inputs in Kintex US (Vivado 2018.1). I am using 4 IODELAY primitives in cascade mode (with a configuration of IDELAY-ODELAY-IDELAY-ODELAY) to achieve this delay. So far so good.

However, those IOBs that are placed on pin 0 of a "byte group" do not allow a cascade greater than 2 IODELAYs, because delay elements cannot go through the byte boundary. So, I need to add an extra delay in those pins to make up for the 2 IODELAYs I cannot implement. 

My idea is to use a fixed delay as offset and make a fine-tuning with the 2 remaining IODELAYs.

Which is the best way to add that "extra delay" as offset? There is any constraint to determine the delay of a net, or using buffers/LUTs... to get a kind of deterministic delay value?

I also appreciate another suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor cesarcf
Visitor

Re: Add extra delay without IDELAY primitive

Jump to solution

This is for receiving data at up to 600 MHz. It is a great deal of delay but each data line has an accumulative delay and it goes up to 4.5 ns.

I have found a good approach implementing the second pair of IODELAYs coming from user logic and not in a cascaded way directly from an IOB, using the DATAIN input instead of IDATAIN. In this way, I have flexibility to place the IODELAYs as close as possible. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
Basically , DONT

Analyse why you need such a long delay,
consider registering in the signal,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Visitor cesarcf
Visitor

Jump to solution
I do need it because the input signals are a data bus with a progressive skew among each line, so I have no option.

Furthermore, a fine adjustment is needed thus if I register the signals the delay will be too higher.
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

4.5 ns is one heck of a delay between signals on a bus,

Whats the data rate on the bus ? 

this is for receive, transmit or both at the FPGA ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor cesarcf
Visitor

Jump to solution

This is for receiving data at up to 600 MHz. It is a great deal of delay but each data line has an accumulative delay and it goes up to 4.5 ns.

I have found a good approach implementing the second pair of IODELAYs coming from user logic and not in a cascaded way directly from an IOB, using the DATAIN input instead of IDATAIN. In this way, I have flexibility to place the IODELAYs as close as possible. 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
Thats doubly amazing. 600 MHz is 1.67 ns per cycle,
thats over two clocks worth of delay....

Wow..
0 Kudos